1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identification of a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassnoob76, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bassnoob76

bassnoob76

Aug 30, 2007
    Total noob here...I bought this bass and have no clue what brand it is etc. Anyway to find out? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

bassJPG.

d035_1.

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Just a no-name P-bass knockoff.

3. bassnoob76

bassnoob76

Aug 30, 2007
    thanks!

4. well, the body, pickguard, pickups, and etc. hardware certainly look s fender-esque. but the headstock looks like it belongs to a peavy bass...strangely, the decal is missing.

it might be a mash-up of parts...but it certainly looks cool. I say, go with it, gut it, and put some fancy electronics in there.

some bigger pics, close-ups, and pics of hardware, and the control cavity will help.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Looks like a Peavey Foundation headstock. Peavey also made a P-bass copy so it could be a Peavey body as well.

http://www.gui****octor.com/11_3_05/peavey_foundation_bass_head.jpg

Edit: On second thought, the headstock looks a bit more rounded than a Peavey. It may just be a no-name knockoff.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Tons of Peaveys had that headstock, not just Foundations.

7. bassnoob76

bassnoob76

Aug 30, 2007
    i've had a few people give me ideas and did some searching, but the head stock on that 'foundation' looks closer to it that any others. the pin-striping on the 'foundation' gives it more of an angled look but when you look just at the wood they are almost identical. thanks for all of the great information!!!
    j-

8. bassnoob76

bassnoob76

Aug 30, 2007
    also looks like it could have come off the same assembly line as this:

[​IMG]

A Stagg P-300BL

The hardware and headstock are identical. There's even the same number of 'grommets' around the 'white part' (is that a pick guard? I'm such a noob). What do you think?

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Not saying the Foundation was the only one. It was the first pic of that headstock I found. ;)

10. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    The headstock on the one you posted is a different-enough shape that it would be a different brand. They actually could have come off the same assembly line; a lot of imports are built by contractors who build for several different brands and slap different decals on them.

You have a clone of a Fender P-bass. The headstock would indicate it was made by Peavey, but without a decal or other identifying marks it's difficult to say conclusively where it came from. The tuners, bridge and pickup design and appearance are all public domain, and in fact you can buy tuners that look exactly the same from half a dozen makers, from Hipshot to Gotoh to Wilkinson to Kluson. In fact, most of the parts on that bass are standardized enough that you can buy replacements or upgrades from virtually any guitar shop. Therefore, its look, apart from the headstock, doesn't really provide any clues about its origins.

Yeah, you're a newb, but we all were at one time or another.
    Read this
    and you should be cured; it's everything you wanted to know about the various parts of a bass and how they're important, with illustrations.

11. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    looks like a "kit-made" bass to me

12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Just for the record, that's not a Peavey neck.