1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identifing Ols Fenders (plus)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi! i started a thread a while back about a Fender 70`s jazz that ended being fake. So i told my teacher who is one of the greates uruguayan bassist/sessionist about it, and he told me that in the late 70`s in Uruguay there was a guy who imported all accesories from Fender, all the hardwarw, including the sticker that sayd "fender jazz bass": everything but the wood.

So he had a luthier made him a lot of basses and he added everything and sold them like Fenders. That was a big issue here in that time. There was a big legal problem there too.

I dont know what happend to that guy, but the thing is that there are lots of fakes 70`s fender in Uruguay and some in Argentina too (maybe some over the world) made by this luthier. The luthier was quite good, so the basses are good basses, but not as a real 70`s Fender. Many people my teacher know have fake Fenders, and some dont even know they are fake!!!

So i started this thread for a specific bass i founded here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232782

I didnt get it..... but today i came across other 77 jazz. The seller said the body was american oak..... but he may be saying this because he really dont know the wood the bass is made of.... or maybe its a fake and was made of oak. (Fender didnt use oak in any bass, right???)

Also the color seems to be perfect, like re-painted, but even if it is fake from the 70`s the color must in bot perfect conditions, so that doesnt tell me is the bass is fake.
    The knobs seem to be Presicion-like, but could be changed also.

The pics are poor quality, i emailed today asking for more info and better pics.

Any input is very welcomed!
    Thanks guys!

jazz6.
    jazz5.
    jazz4.
    jazz3.
    jazz2.
    jazz1.

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY