Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

identify a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by trocadero, Jul 27, 2005.

1. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    Hello everyone. I'm a beginner on double bass, I'm a jazzpianist who want to learn to swing on the big bass!

I've gotten hold of this bass and I don't really know much about it. It hasn't got any identification on it. My luthier said that he thought it could be cezch and 50 years or older. What do you think?

EDIT: added a pic of the tuning pegs. My luthier said they were very nice and expensive.

Attached Files:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yes, he is correct or may be German and can be older. Measure the Tail piece and the String lenght from Bridge to nut, vibrating length. It looks like a 5/8 Bass with a 7/8 tail piece. It need to be in better proportion.

Better pics showing special details will help. Use my web Photos for ideas on waht may be important to show for ID purposes; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/double_basses.htm

3. Kenny Is that a 'Blockless Wonder'? What about Tyrol?

4. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    Its mensur is 110 cm(43.3 ") and the fingerboard feels like a log its almost flat and very wide. The tailpiece is 35.3 cm(13.8 ")

EDIT: the neck has been smashed at some point so it got a cracks at the upper bout. I think my luthier pointed near the "block" back the upper bout and said something had been added at the reparation of the neck.

Attached Files:

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    how tall is the bridge on that bass. it might be the angle but that sucker looks really short.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Look at where the neck meets the body. It's... I dunno. Something about this bass seems much older than 50 years to me.

edit: The nut also looks very funny to me. It looks like a high nut with deep string slots.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I think Paul is right on this. Tuners are clearly not original and look like something you'd get off an Eppy or something.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Not all Basses with raised Ribs are Blockless. Even if it were made like that, it may have a block now. The Bass may be closer to 100 years old. The String length seem long as the Body looks small compared to the 13.8" ?? Tail piece. Is that tip to tip measured on the tail piece?.. Something is not right with the measurements. Look at my website and give ALL the measurments so I can make sense of this.

9. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    ok guys. first, thank you for making time!

here is the measurements:

Upper bout: 21 "
    Center bout: 14 1/2 "
    Bottom bout: 26 "
    Belly Lenght: 42 1/2 "
    String lenght 43.3 " (the bridge may be a bit too far down on the bass)
    Rib Lenght 9 " <---wrong. correction 8 3/4" (measured between the top and the bottom. I dont think i understand this because my language isn't english its swedish. Do I have to measure the rib lenght from INSIDE the bass? because I measured it on the outside at the middle of the f-holes.)

the bridge is almost 6 " high.

and I've measured the lenght of the whole bass(endping excluded) and it is: 74 "

I think the reason why it looks short is because of the wide fingerboard.

EDIT: the nut IS very high and "un-curved".
    maybe the thing where the neck meets the body is changed after it being smashed. just a thought

EDIT2: and what is this "block" you're talking about?

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The Ribs should be measured 'inside' the top and back and not including. They are NOT 9" deep! The Block is a piece of wood the top, back ribs and neck attach to inside the Bass here; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21190

Maybe Arnold can shoot a Pick of my Bass he has opened up now that just got a new block.

Your Bridge looks too low down on the top. Also the ff holes may be low and you most likely have an Eb neck which is longer. Basses like these average close to 42" string length. Your Bass IS a 3/4 size by the dimentions you have given.

Oh, and as Paul mentioned Tyrol, that is southern Germany near Austria and north of Italy. I meant to imply that inclusive of Germany.

11. Somebody has screwed a black plate from the button to the back to stabilize the neck....i'd bet.

12. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    Actually, the rib is 8 3/4 " measured "inside" not including the top or the bottom.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Are you sure on the 8 3/4?.. Are you holding the ruler/tape measure on the 1" and then it reaches 8 3/4 or starting on 0/zero. That Bass barely looks 8" in the pics and I have never seen one over 8" of that madel b4.

Re-check your string length as well if you can.

14. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
  15. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah... I'm getting 8.46 inches.

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Wow, that's one of the deepest Ribbed Basses I have seen on that style. Sorry to question your ability. Get than Bass fixed 100% and you will have a nice Bass suitable for Orchestra or Jazz.

I would say you have the Air Volume of a 7/8ths Bass withing a 3/4 size.. Optimum.......

17. Don't keep it by that radiator!

Keep it somewhere warm and dry but not up against the heater!

It might start to decompose!!
    :)

18. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    the radiatorplace was just for the photopose. I keep it in the pianoroom and the piano keeps the tuning very well so I guess the humidity(can't spell) is quite good.

Thank you all for taking time to identify my instrument! A Tyrol bass, kinda cool! Maybe as old as a 100 years. Feels mighty!
    I'll try to take good care of it. My main concern right now is:

* the bridge is to far down, with makes its string lenght just wrong. And I suppose it has affect on the tone as well.

* the string height is 11 mm on E and 8 mm on G, way to high for me trying to learn walking bass.

* the string height at the nut also feels way to high

* it sounds kind of mettalic tone-wise. I got new strings and played them for a week, got it to my luthier and got it back this tusday and it still sounds metallic What else can sound metalic on a bass besides the strings. The strings are Thomastic by the way and the E is the spirocore-model.

19. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  20. trocadero

trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    lets see if I can wake this old thread up to ask another question about this very bass.

I just learned that the fingerboard is not ebenholtz, is that strange? Has the fingerboard been replaced? Ebenholtz is the best material for fingerboards, right?