Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify an E-string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by contrabassie, May 15, 2003.

1. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Hi,

I'm new here. I looked at this site and found the place where I can identify my bass strings, but I couldn't find strings that are white/red spiral at the peg end. My E-string is green at the ball end. the other strings are the same at the peg end (the D string is red at the ball end).
    Can someone identify this strings? Are they good for Jazz. I have some problems with my E-string. The others are sounding very nice, but the E string does not sound so well, except when I play the E on it. Can it have something to do with the E string (because the bass sounds very well on the other strings).

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Contrabassie.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Is it possible that you mix up the ball end with the peg end? (the ball end is at the tailpiece...)
    I don't know of any string that has a spiral over solid color at the peg end, while using different colours at the ball end...

If my guess is right, my suggestion is that they're Pirastro FlatChromesteels (the new ones, not the Originals).
    These strings are meant as a hybrid string; good for arco and pizz.
    I personally find them clear and thin sounding.
    I suggest you stay with Pirastro for the other E.
    The Pirastro Permanent is also clear sounding but stronger and fuller tone. It may fit well.
    The Pirastro Jazzer also comes to mind.
    I wouldn't go with darker brands though, such as Flexocor (new or Original).

HTH!
    François

3. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    You were right: I mixed up the two ends. My excuses.

So you think I'll have a stronger and fuller tone with the Pirastro Permanent ? (and that was my problem like I said before)
    I think I'll give it a try.
    Other suggestions are (of course) still welcome.

Thanks,
    Contrabassie.

4. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I've found that with the E string, right hand technique comes into play more than the brand of string (as long as you don't have an obvious bad string like a supernil on there)- It's harder to get it to "open up" tonewise- Also, your counter support from your thumb goes by the wayside- So you have to pull stronger, without as much of the anchor support of your thumb- Know what I mean?
    I've gotten better on the E by practicing octaves from the E to D string at slow to fast tempos, and playing lines solely on the E- Try the "Peter Gunn Theme" for a couple minutes straight :)