1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

identify and parts HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mustk1ll20, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mustk1ll20

mustk1ll20

Jan 9, 2012
    have a gibson 4 string bass i need help with.

searched every where for info on this and nothing. any help finding the year and model would be awesome along with where i can get the parts for it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. mustk1ll20

mustk1ll20

Jan 9, 2012
    found numbers on the head that reads "7352" and says made in usa under that.

3. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass Guitar

Gibson SB-450. It was their economy variant of the SG that was primarily produced from 72 - 74, but was available through 1978.

4. mustk1ll20

mustk1ll20

Jan 9, 2012
    awesome man thank you. you know of any place to get used parts for this?

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the tuning keys were made by schaller and had 'gibson' stamped on the gear cover. they still make a very similar model today, but the tab for the mounting screw on the back is in a different location (off to the side). wilkinson makes one that's basically identical the original with the mounting screw centered on the back like yours: http://www.allparts.com/Wilkinson-Bass-Tuning-Key-Treble-Side-Chrome-p/tk-7531-l10.htm

............otherwise, i'd check ebay to try and find original vintage parts for it.

6. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    The original bridges had plastic saddles. You're not going to be able to bring this one back to stock if that is what you're hoping for. At least not within a reasonable time or for a reasonable price. However, you could do a very very nice restoration. It won't have the value of a completely stock original, but you can get close as far as appearance and function.

If you look at that Flyguitars site, you'll notice that they show an aftermarket bridge that you could try out. As long as the neck is OK, then the bridge is the toughest part. The rest of it is really up to you. If you want to spend some money on it, maybe Johnk 10 can talk business with you on a restoration project if you're not up to doing it yourself.

7. mustk1ll20

mustk1ll20

Jan 9, 2012
    thanks for the link. searching everywhere for parts for this thing, looks like its gonna get kinda pricey to go with original parts. guess ill get one part at a time. thanks for the help had this thing sitting for a good 20 years its time to actually get it together

8. mustk1ll20

mustk1ll20

Jan 9, 2012

honestly i just want it to play. the condition its in is due to my dad and his band(steven tylers actually) being booze hounds getting rowdy. all stock would be cool but i know that wont happen. so i guess just parts that would fit it, new or old either is fine with me.

9. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Ha! I'm not even going to ask.

Well, it would be nice to see what you come up with. We love to see restoration projects. If that bass has some authentic mojo, then perhaps a minimalist approach would be best. Just get reasonably "period correct" parts and see what you end up with as far as tone and playability.

10. mustk1ll20

mustk1ll20

Jan 9, 2012
    so would i NEED to get parts from around the time it was made? i never learned to play, this is just somthing i d***ed around with since i was little.

the story i have is my dad played this in a band called the saloonatics back in the 70s which was started by steven tyler. my dad (william or bill/billy white) took it serious while the others did not, so he went his own way. dont know who all the original members of the saloonatics but 3 i know included steven, my dad and a guitarist who died dont know his name. i havent dont much research on it except for asking my mom and older brothers and sisters. havent seen my dad since i was 3 so havent asked him any questions about it lol.

but yea dont want to go full on restore as i think the story behind is awesome an i think that would take away some of that.

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
  12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    SB450's used two gibson mini humbuckers much like the EB3 bridge pickup only with solid black pickup covers so, on a budget, you could install two of THESE without modifying the bass.

it also used the three point bridge, so instead of paying big bucks for a vintage gibson one, THIS AFTERMARKET ONE would work just fine.

more info on your bass can be found HERE.

13. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
  14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i thought that too, but if you look at the OP's pic closely, you can see the thrid (middle) ferrule.

15. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    1973-SB450-natural-2.

An EB-3 derivative with sensible electronics, sensible pickup placement and a sweet natural finish? When is the reissue due? :eek: