1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

identify my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by palexandrelecle, Oct 27, 2013.

1. palexandrelecle

palexandrelecle

Oct 5, 2013
    hi there folks. some of my bands gear has recently been stolen and got me thinking of insurance. the only problem is, im not really sure what make my bass is, and what it's worth. if any of you could help me out with that, i'd really appreciate it. thanks
    IMG_20130927_175455_zpsdf2d6280.
    IMG_20130927_175504_zps850fd3dd.
    IMG_20130927_175512_zps53b3bbd3.
    IMG_20130927_175658_zps4bad194e.
    IMG_20130927_165953_zps22eee084.
    IMG_20130927_175551_zps5356f2fb.
    IMG_20130927_175532_zps20c9f665.
    IMG_20130927_175518_zpsed60524c.

i hope these links work. let me know. i have more photos too

2. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass palexandrelecle.

Your bass looks a bit like mine, an Eastern block plywood bass with pretty veneers, painted rosewood FB and a quite bit of wear and tear for having been played out a lot.

Kind of a bass I love :).

Being the novice I am, I can't help You with appraising any instrument, but do yourself a favour and get that nasty looking peg-box failure looked at before it gives in completely.

Could be the camera angle, but it looks like the peg-box is even tilted sideways, as well as forward.

Regards
    Sam

3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    If want to get insurance you'd do best to have your bass appraised for insurance purposes by a well qualified double bass luthier. And I agree with T-Bird about having the pegbox/scroll checked out. Looks like there's a crack right at the.. what would you call that, scroll heel? Might be good to have that properly/solidly repaired by a well qualified double bass luthier before having it appraised for insurance (perhaps by the same W.Q.D.B.L.).

4. Hi.

I honestly don't know.

That's why I used a vague "peg-box failure" ;).

I'm sure that the better DB luthiery books have a chart that explains every bit, piece and part of a DB, but I haven't been able to find such a chart on-line.

Just the illustrations of listing the main components.

Regards
    Sam

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    The tuner plates are the only thing holding the scroll together.

6. It's called a hen tail in violin making.

Also, looks like a dowel in the neck heel?

7. Hi.

Thanks.

I'd be willing to guess that there's a screw-head under that one.

As well as under the 3 large and 4 small veneer patches on the both sides of the neck block.

Regards
    Sam

8. palexandrelecle

palexandrelecle

Oct 5, 2013
    Yeah, its being kept together by a few dowels/screws. It'll just have to hold until the touring season is done for me. I'm bringing it in to my luthier in December. I don't need an official appraisal for this insurance. Just a sort of estimate of replacement cost. Also, if its insured and it collapses on itself on the road, they'll cover rental and repair.

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd guess up to $3500 for a decent older European ply in good shape.

10. palexandrelecle

palexandrelecle

Oct 5, 2013
    Thanks Eric. Very much appreciated.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    That estimate seems kind of high to me. I think if $3500 could be fetched, it would have to be by a rather pristine and highly desirable older European ply.

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    That would be replacement cost, so you know you have the cash to get a good bass. Aren't the New Standard plys in the $4k's? Also a few Kays and American Standards get into that $3k range.

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Sure, replacement cost but that'll depend on appraised value. Indeed, the NS plys are in that range when you buy them new. Kays, largely because of their collectibility can get there. I think that's true of American Standards as well. A run-of-the-mill older European ply? I could be wrong, but I don't see one of those as $3,500 unless, as I mentioned, there's something very special about it. Surely, with all of its problems, the OP's bass wouldn't be in that range.

14. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    OK, true but the point is he needs to insure it for replacement cost, and he may as well be sure he can buy another bass he likes with the insurance money, even if he has to pay retail. That's why he should insure it for that amount, IMO. Czech this: http://bassviolinshop.com/catalog/index.php/products/juzek-double-bass/

However, If he knows he wants to replace it with a particular $2k bass, then he could insure it for that amount and save money on the policy.

FWIW, my policy does not require written appraisals, just my description and the amount I determine I want to insure it for.

15. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Ah, that's where the disconnect is! I have never heard of the insured being able to assign a value for which he wishes to insure his specific instrument, his home, specific items of jewelry or electronics, etc. such that the amount will automatically be paid upon a claim. The only instances in which I've heard of the insured assigning values with the expectation of being paid based on those values are for broad categories of items, such as the personal contents within a home. Even then, there are usually hard limits on the replacement value of individual items unless they are scheduled.

I insure with Clarion and I believe that I also specified the value of my bass. I certainly have an appraisal and pictures. I don't think it's the case that, if I made a claim, they would simply pay the amount I specified. In fact, based on how they and other companies handle their claims, I'm rather confident that they would ask for substantiation. I can't value my bass at $50k and expect to be paid that if it were stolen or destroyed.

As for the Juzek at $3500, well, it's a Juzek in very nice shape. So, it's a highly desirable instrument in great condition. Those are precisely the criteria I mentioned as probably having to be met in order for an older European ply to command such a price.

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I insure through the AFM (Marsh/Seabury-Smith). I've never filed a claim, but being through the union, I'm hoping it will be straight ahead.