Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify my Super Short Scale Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowBassDub, Jun 28, 2004.

1. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    I picked up this new bass today. It was an old beaten up no name, but I loved the short scale, turns out it has a 26" scale. Can anyone shed any light on the maker? There appear to be no markings anywhere on it (haven't checked under the pickguard as yet)

More pics of it are at http://halfassedprojects.com/pantsofchance/shorty/

Any suggestions welcome.

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
  3. No

4. hey, thats a cool looking bass!
    probably obvious, but i will guaruntee that its a japanese no-name bass, i have the same neck on one of my shortscale japanese basses, only its longer (30" scale), but that probably doesn't help, because i don't know who made the bass, but i can guess yours won't be any big name, or probably even a familiar name!

Charlie

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  6. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    Indeed. It's just that generally the no-names are a copy of a some-name. In the sense of can anyone tell me what this is a copy of?

On a slightly related note, and it may have been in my head as I bought this, does anyone else think that the Fender Jag-Stang would be a really good body style for a short scale bass?

7. Nope, it's not a Teisco.

In fact is is exactly what SBM 2000 has alluded to - a Japanese no-name. In fact I'm quite sure.

I bought this EXACT "bass" brand new in 1975 - it was the first instrument I ever purchased. It was bought from a small music store. The bass was a no-name then and it is now. I wound up repainting mine but the shape and pickguard were unmistakable.

8. It looks an awful lot like the Harmony Sears Catalog specials of the late 70's early 80's. I had the guitar version when I was 12, as my first instrument, and it had the same exact bridge and tailpiece style, body shape, and pickup look. Only thing diff, being the peghead.

it was 59 dollars new, and boy did it suck. But I wish I still had it.

9. I will agree with that 100%!!!!
    The bass i was talking about in my post (the one with the same neck) is in a jaguar shape, and it just looks right. you really can't beat a good jaguar shape, or jag-anything at that matter (jagstang, jagmaster, etc)!

oh, and as for what it is a copy of, i say that its a copy of the jaguar shape, only changed enough to be thought of as somewhat original. that shape can be found on about 85% of all japanese made basses, with the second place winner being a copy of vox's bill wyman teardrop bass.

btw, how does it sound and play? just because you've got a no-name bass that you've picked up cheap doesn't mean it sounds bad! i love my japanese made bass, and i just picked up another bass like it on ebay for roughly $30 (i couldn't help it!) i will post more about that one later!

Charlie

10. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    Plays quite nicely, it's a nice change to be able to span 4 frets without dislocating my pinkie like I have to do on my 5 string. There's a bit of a buzz on the open E, and the action gets a little high further down the neck. I hope to redo the nut, and shim the neck joint a little, also need to redo the electrics as it buzzes any time you touch the pickup, which is where I tend to rest my thumb. So basically it plays fine, but that won't stop me dismantling it an improving it ;)

The Jag-Stang bass idea is because I love the balance of that beast, the way the bottom half is kind of off-center to the top seems to make it both look, and sit better.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with those who guessed - "Japanese"........from the era when "Japanese" meant "junkanese." Although, therre are nostalgia-collectors who pay decent money for this old stuff.

The tip-offsto me are the poor quality, recycled-beer-can- chrome and junk knobs.

Still, as I mentioned, some people really into the old stuff are paying pretty good money for this stuff because of its "kitsch factor." E.g. - The value of old Teiscos is way out of line.

12. if i owned that bass, i'd name it something like "wubby"
    i like it.