Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify mystery pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have an older Washburn bass that I have changed the pickup in. It's a P-style split pickup, and the stocker was really weak, which seems to be a common Washburn feature :( . I got the "new" pickup from the same guy I got the bass from, and he doesn't know what it is either. It has exposed polepieces, and two magnets running along the bottom of the polepieces. The whole thing, including the covers, is sealed in some sort of brown resin-type stuff. It seems to be a nice pickup, with a reasonably hot, fat sound, and is nice and quiet. Doesn't appear to be DiMarzio, Duncan, EMG, Bartolini, or Fender.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Max...I am not sure about the pickup, but am interested in your "older" Washburn bass. I just picked one up and am not sure of the model. It sure plays great though. :)

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It's a Washburn XS-2, made in 1990. Mahogany plywood body, rosewood fingerboard, 1 P-pickup. It wasn't an expensive bass, sort of a forerunner of the XB-100, but with 24 frets. As I mentioned, the stock p.u. was crummy, but it sounds pretty good with the replacement. The neck is between P and J width, and nice and flat. I just did a fairly radical neck tilt adjustment, which has made it a pleasure to play, even with heavy flatwounds. The body is painted white, which has mostly yellowed to a nice cream color, and the neck has a slick, shiny finish. The frets are also nicely finished. Headstock is black with "Washburn" in kind of a brush script.

I've got to say that for a cheap bass, this one is pretty good. The sound is more consistent than my Fender Precision (horrors!), and it plays really well. Not heavy, either. It's banged up a little, and not the prettiest bass I've ever seen, but it's OK.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    My Washburn is much older. I think about 1982 and a B-15 model (?)
    It has an unusual shaped body with one cream colored P pickup. The neck is maple with a maple fretboard and 22 frets...AND...the most unusual feature....A "hard-V" shaped neck. Fender lovers will know that was used on very early Precisions.
    All in all...it is worn and beat up...but plays super! I love it for laying down some basic blues grooves...:)