Identify Old No Name J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sarakisof, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Local find years ago. Funny story. Seller was asking 250 back then lol, he was then dropping about 20 bucks every 3 months or so, "for ever unsold" case.
    I was following silently, seller lives 1 mile away my house :D
    Price is about 100 bucks now i think of 50.

-Seems like Japanese copy late 70s. Matsumoto maybe? Neck plate looks empty.
    -Looks like this bass once had both chrome covers.
    -Note number of frets.

Searching months the internet but cannot find any identical. Many similar but not the same with this one.

Attached Files:

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    About the only defining identifiers you are going to get on this one are the headstock shape and those rounded off pickups. Never seen THOSE before.

3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Reminds me of a Cortez branded bass i was lusting after once. Best playing J bass i have ever played.

Sarakisof likes this.
  4. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks guys. Searching for months with no results. Someone from the experts here could probably know !

5. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Anyone?

6. Sorry, I've never seen it before. It is also possible that someone just assembled a parts bass, from a random body, neck, etc. Make sure to try it before you buy it. Those rusty strings will need changing immediately or you're going to need a tetanus shot.

Sarakisof likes this.
  7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Kay...Sears?...Ronco?

Sarakisof likes this.
  8. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Nuh. Start thinking that it could be a parts bass. But even this, i cannot find and haven't seen a maple neck from that era with 22 frets. A local older luthier here says it could be anything Japan or Korea and that specially many no name Japanese's used 22 frets back then. :unsure:

9. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Any other ideas of what this could be?

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I picked up a similar bass a few years ago, the pickups were killer! Callaghan or something like that was the brand name, I think they also were branded St. George.

Sarakisof likes this.
  11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looks the same as the one being discussed here:

Another mystery Japanese Jazz

I don't know if @JIO has been through this thread, he is a bit of an officianado.

I agree with @GretschWretch that the rounded pickups are likely to be what leads to the answer.

shadven and Sarakisof like this.
  12. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks guys i had already read all those though. Seems like i have to grab it first to see what's going on
    Hope seller agrees for 50

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Not to mention the truss rod adjustment at the heel. That should also help narrow it down a bit.
    I owned a late 70s Cimar (by Ibanez) with the identical finish and pickguard, but the truss rod adjustment was on the headstock if I remember correctly.

Sarakisof and Reedt2000 like this.
  14. Sarakisof

Sarakisof

Dec 15, 2019
    Another critical point should be the number of frets. Notice the one extra fret long scale type. I have only found a very similar one to "mine" , named Leyanda (Matsumoku).
    I don't think this is it, but well look at the similarities. Many things in common.
    Extra fret, truss rod, tuners, narrow unbranded neckplate, round pickups,etc colour etc. A thumb rest could be there too, i can see the holes for screws.

Check them out
    vintage LEYANDA EB Jazz Bass Fender style 4string bass guitar Matsumoku Japan | tonprojekt | Reverb

JAZZ BASS MATSUMOKU LEYANDA FENDER COPY LATE 70'S JAPAN MADE | eBay

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021