Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify some strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Nov 7, 2003.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So once I realized I had ordered the wrong gauge of Corellis, I decided to put on some old strings (a mixed set) from the stockpile of old strings I have.

I've had the following:

Obligatos
    Heliocores
    Spirocore Weichs
    La Bella tapewound
    mystery set that came with the bass

I *think* this is all - though I might be missing one set (darn brain fog). Anyway, I put these strings on my bass:

E - ball end has green winding with yellow detail
    A - same as above
    D - read and black ball end, red winding on peg end
    G - I know what this one is - the Weich

If someone could help me identify which the other three are, it would be much appreciated. Obviously, I am not using any LaBellas! This mixed set is sounding really good to me...a bit heavier overall than the Weich set, so I need to adjust to 'em though!

thanks!

2. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And yes, I know I should be more organized ;-)

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    SPERM GO THROUGH

the d is an obligato. the other two may be helicore hybrids - is it green silk with yellow spiral?

sean p

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Looks like E & A are the Helicores, and the D looks like Obligato, if it is red with black thread on the ball end.

Monte

5. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks guys! That's indeed it - green with yellow spiral - I forgot it was called 'spiral'. Anyway, the Heliocore E and A are a bit thicker than I am used to, and I'm likin it!