Identify string brand: B E A D round wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by westonc, Feb 16, 2018.

1. westonc

westonc

Jan 23, 2012
    For about 5 years, I've had a long scale (34" scale lenght) 4-string bass set up with low B E A D strings instead of the typical E A D G. I love the way they sound and I'd like to get the same strings, but after searching, I can't tell which brand they are.

The ball ends are colored like so:
    B: green
    E: gold
    A: red
    D: black
    ...and there's no colored silk anywhere on the strings. They're roundwounds, but since they're 5 years old, I can't really tell whether they were ever shiny enough to be nickel or if they're just always-dull stainless steel. I don't think the B string is larger than .124-gauge because it was strung through a standard bridge made for nothing thicker than an E string. I don't remember if the guy at the guitar shop put a 5-string set on it (leaving off the G string) or if he took the EAD from an EADG set and ordered a single B string.
    I know there are plenty of folks on here that play a BEAD 4-string nowadays, so any help would be appreciated.

I've attached an image of my strings, in case it helps: 5-string-id.jpeg

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Most likely D'Addario

westonc likes this.
  3. westonc

westonc

Jan 23, 2012
    That's what I was guessing, but my set is:
    B: green

...and all the D'addario sets I'm seeing are:
    B: purple
    Here's a screenshot from D'Addario EXL170-5 Nickel Wound Long Scale Light 5-String Bass Strings

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 12.54.11 PM.png

Do any of you happen to know whether D'addario changed or swapped their color code for B & G strings in the past 5 years or so?

4. Not sure about the B-string, but the rest are definitely D'Addario colors.

(NOTE: Fender-branded sets, made by D'Addario, would have chrome/silver for the D.)

westonc likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022