Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify the bass and the player!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkyherbivore, Jun 3, 2004.

1. These pictures are taken from Stevie Wonder's live performance on French TV5 in 1995. So, please tell me what is that bass, and who is the marvellous player playing it? :hyper:

I'm sorry about the poor picture quality since I had it on VHS, converted it into poor quality DV and then captured the pics. Here you go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You can almost be 100% sure that that's Nathan Watts, who has been with Stevie since the '70s.

The bass rings a bell, although I can't find any details. I believe it may have onboard effects or built-in synth/MIDI capabilities.

3. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    The bass is a first generation Roland bass synth - it had onboard controls .

4. Yep, I thought it was Nathan Watts, but I hadn't seen a picture of him before, so I didn't recognize...
    [​IMG]

That bass is incredible, it just sounds so good! It really cuts through and has this unique growl in it. Or maybe it's just the player! ;) Even a piece of string braced on a stick would sound good in the right hands...

5. He is, in a word, a baaaaadaaaaaass!

What a groover!

6. IIRC, all the Roland guitar / bass synth products came out of the Hoshino factory. So they're essentially Ibanez.

7. Homeslice makes that bass look SMALL, dont he?? :D

8. Yep, he is all over that bass! :bassist: :D

Homeslice - is that his "official" nickname?

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I think you're right. Check out that bass's body - it's got "Ibanez Musician" written all over it!

10. Bwahahahaaaa! :p Got miself a ticket to the Stevie Wonder live concert at Pori Jazz on 18.7. Cost me a fortune too (I am just a puny student), 68 euros...
    But am I excited....

.... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: