Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify the brand of jack

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FullTime Tim, Nov 1, 2005.

1. I'm trying to identify who makes this jack.

It's not Switchcraft or Neutrik, and I can't seem to figure out who makes them.

I like that they sit lower than Switchcraft 90's and are not as bulky as Neutrik 90's.... any ideas?

(and no comments that I should try George L's please... been there, done that.... I like solder)

Attached Files:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The jack it self, I can't recall, however, Audio Technica, I know for a fact uses this type of plug.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just checked, it's Switchcraft. Part number 228.

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    these are the cheapest angled jack plugs availiable, just good enough for a pedalboard, and saves some space too

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    looks like switchcraft to me..
    they do make a beefier right angle as well.

6. RADIO SHACK HAD DRAWERS FULL.

7. Ahhh you guys rock.

I knew Switchcraft had the 226 right angle plug. Have many pedal jumpers with these on. But I wasn't aware they had the 228 plug.

As for Radio shack - I am always warry of the qauitly. Plus if you have a micrometer, measure the width of a cheap (radio shack etc.) and then measure a Switchcraft or Neutrick. The cheaper ones tend to be just slightly smaller in diameter, and can loose contact.
    I discovered this on a cheap cable that tested fine, but would loose contact when plug was rocked by the cable. I know, that 9/10 of the time it would never cause a problem, but it has in the past, esp with active pickups.

Thanks for the help boys.

8. Never had a problem with my Radio Shack plugs...If there was ever a loose connection (with both Radio Shack and Monsters et.al.) it was because of the metal piece inside the jack not pressing on the plug. I just tweaked it back and voila, a tight connection.

ps. Always had more problems with George L plugs than Radio Shack's.

9. Yeah, I agree. George L's are a neat concept, and good for someone that can't be bothered with all the process of a great soldered connection. I admit they look good... but I can't put my trust in them.

As for radio shack... sure I bet that 90% of the time they will work fine. I just discoved (by accident mostly) that the manufacturing tolerances were slightly off... and for a few cents (or maybe dollars) it is worth it to have everything perfect on a cable.

If I've dropped hundreds on well researched and loved pedals, might as well by jacks I know are better.