Identify the fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, May 20, 2007.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sup? Anyone know what model Fender this is? And what pickup that is? Probably not that hard for you Fender guys, but meh, right?

Mysterybass.jpg

(That's Scissorfight's bassist, by the way)

2. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Telecaster Bass.

3. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
  4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ha, I was about to be all "Well, thanks smartass, I could have told you that" when I realized that even though they had the tele headstock, those old Precisions were still that; precisions.

Has Fender ever reissued them? Or is that Squier the first?

Thanks.

5. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    wow nice bass! that thing has mojo:bassist:

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yes, it's a Telecaster bass, probably a 70, a 71 or a later model. Telecaster basses did start out in '68 as basically the first Fender reissue. In this case obviously a reissue of the '51 P-bass. They had a single coil '51 p-bass style pickup during the first few years.

IMHO, because of its sound, the later models are technically not precisions. The slab body, bridge, tuners, headstock, and even finish are all features from that line, but the pickup is a humbucker, IIRC designed by the same guy that did them for Gibson. This makes a big difference.

They just don't sound much like P-basses, in my experience. Very bassy, some might even say muddy. :p

PS. the later models also had the 3-bolt micro-tilt neck. Yuck, not my thang...check out the ebay auction listed above for pics.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man...so I'm not getting my hands on one without vintage pricing, and since Squiers are often hit and miss, I'd be taking my chances on one of them.

Suck.

Anyone need a kidney?

8. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
  9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Not so with the Vintage Modified Series. They have superb quality, I own the Vintage Modified P Bass, and I'm very happy with it. While previous Squiers have had a less than spectacular reputation, I've heard nothing but good things about the Vintage Modified Series.

10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Tele-Bass
    1972-1978.
    3-bolt.
    Humbucker pickup.

Fat distorted, tone.
    Micro-tilt necks blow, very unstable.
    A pain to ajust.
    Many people converted to 4-bolt.

I had a white 1972.
    And a sunburst 1973.
    The sunburst had a wonderful profile neck.
    1 5/8 played like butter.

I found that strings can change tone of these pickup big time.
    To me, bass played best with roundwounds.
    Flats, nylon, and half-wounds sounded to muddy .

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The CIJ/MIJ '51 P-bass RI is very close to the '68-69 single coil version of the Telecaster. Find an early one from the '90s with the Vintage white color (or whatever it was called), and you have something very close to the original Telecaster Bass.

Of course, it's not the same version of the Tele as one in the picture with the Humbucker. Didn't Chef put a Dark Star on his '71? That was cool.

IMHO, the '68-69 Tele sounded a lot better that the later ones. :p :p :p

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The picture above is somewhere between a 72-75 Telecaster Bass. I see it has the bullet trussrod nut, so it's a 3-bolt neck.
    The fat humbucker, ugh...those 'mudbucker' basses sounded pretty gross! Muddy is right, they lacked any definition.

The 68-72 single coil version Tele-bass was a great and far-far more musical instrument.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021