Identify the mystery P.O.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jun 16, 2005.

1. While my brother was a college recently, he played on a strange bass that belonged to one of the churchs. He said it played like a piece, and looked pretty bad too, but hes still curious as to exactly what it was. There was no name on the bass to speak of, but I can offer the following information about the bass to help identify it:

-The pickup was similiar to the chrome pickup on a telecaster guitar, just a thin chrome rail, only one pickup.

-The controls were two giant padlock style knobs and a toggle switch.

-The headstock a rectangle with 2 on a side tuners. The tuners were square shaped.

-The body was made of what appeared to be the foam material thats used in childrens kickboards at the pool, sandwiched between two pieces of plastic. While this is hopefully not what its made of, thats what it looked and felt like.

-The body design looked similiar to the audiovox bass guitar (First one ever made)(Pictured below).

*The above is not the bass I am trying to identify*

Thank you.
  2. DOH NUT

Nov 13, 2004
    Sounds kind of like a Danelectro. They have the lipstick tube pickups, and are made of masonite. There are brands that Dano made guitars for, too, like Sears Silvertone..........Alot of crazy designs over the years.

That picture that you have looks like a wierd version of the headless bass that Spector and Steinberger came up with.
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My guess would also be Danelectro. Did it look anything like this?
  4. It wasn't a VOX teardrop was it?
  5. The culprit has been found!

It was infact a Dan Electro DC bass. Same as the one pictured above, just in black.