Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify these strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm trying to figure out what strings I currently have on my Brubaker Custom 5, which I got used. I was told they are D'Addario XL5's. The problem is, these don't have multicolored silk windings, they have light Silver silk windings at the headstock and have Black ball ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    if i remember correctly, those are dean markley "blue steel" stainless steel strings...

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ha, thats just what I was about to say, I would guess that too....I can't remember if they had black ball ending though.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I checked out a pack of Blue Steels, they had the black ball end but the wrap was a light bluish color. Did they used to come in silver.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    they must have, as i've got a set of blue steels on one of my basses right now- a set which sports a silver wrap. i haven't bought a new set in a while now and wasn't aware that they came with anything but a silver wrap.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, just the info I needed. These are some flat out amazing strings... I did a gig Sunday night and they still sound way better than a set of strings should with the mileage I've put on them.

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    that's why i haven't need to buy new ones in a while... and why i didn't know the wrap color had been changed.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The new ones I just bought are silver. Thanks for your help, these are definitely the strings.