1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identify this Ampeg 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neurotictim, Oct 30, 2010.

1. So I posted an ad on the local Craigslist, looking for an 810 in trade for my Avatar B410 Neo - I love the Avatar, but I was worried about bottoming it out last night at my little punk gig, and it was distorting (nicely, but still distorting) at the insane volume I was driving it.

I figured I'd see if there was any interest locally, and this guy emails me with an offer for an old Ampeg 810. It's pretty beat up, but I'm not worried about the tolex or cloth - I can redo all that pretty easily. I'll most likely hook up with him tomorrow to give it a go, but can anyone identify this for me?

PA300005.

PA300001.

My concerns are -

1) If the speakers themselves are in decent shape, and there's no significant damage to the cab itself, what kind of sound should I expect?

2) Will this be perceptibly louder than my B410? I understand that more speakers moving more air = perceived to be louder, but at 8 ohms (vs. my 4 ohm Avatar) will it still be? I've looked in on some of the Amp debates, and come away more confused than anything. I'm not looking for formulas, I just want to know if I can expect a gain in volume from this 8 ohm 810 cab, vs my 4 ohm 410 cab.

3) Am I gonna blow this thing up if I'm pumping the LMT800 at full volume? The only thing he can tell me from the back plate is that it says "model v.2" and "8 ohms". I also understand that I can run an amp rated for higher wattage into a cab rated for less, but that's based on the the assumption that I'm not going to be pushing the full power of the amp into the cab, 90% of the time. If I happen to need to give it "the juice", so to speak, is it gonna crap out on me? (Again, assuming the speakers and cab itself is in decent shape)

Thanks folks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's a v2. it's not an 810. it's a ported 412. two up top, two down at the bottom, and some space in the middle. it is a bass cab, but i have no idea what it sounds like.

3. Hrm... Time to Google. Thanks JimmyM.

:EDIT: Looks like I'm going to pass on this, after searching here and Google.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I believe the V2 was a guitar rig anyhow. Wasn't the V2 the re-worked B25 paired with a 4x12 instead of a 2x15? I'll have to dig out my book...

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1...it's a guitar rig.
    Dug out my old Ampeg catalog from I believe 1973.
    V-2 speaker enclosure:
    Multi-driver ducted reflex design.
    8 ohm impendance (4 ohms with Altec speakers).
    120 watts RMS power handling capability per enclosure.
    Dolly included.

The V-2 cabinet was meant to be mated with the Ampeg V-2 guitar amp head.
    60 watts RMS.

At the back of the catalog Ampeg has recommendations for what the listed cabs and heads can be used for...the V-2 cabinet is not recommended to be used as a bass cab.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's odd. i figured as a reflex cab it would be made for bass. crazy old unimusic ;)

7. Yeah, I emailed the guy back and told him I'd pass.

This is just one of the reasons I love Talkbass.