Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify this Bass: Description Only!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I was channel surfing the other night and I came across a pretty cheezy guitar program that is local to my area. At the time though, the guy was showing off features of a bass I think I've seen maybe once before, and couldn't tell what it was (and he didn't say the name).

It was a 4-string bass, sunburst finish, the pickguard was tortoiseshell and came down across the controls in a very curvy fashion (like Vic Wooten's yin-yang bass, kinda). I believe it had 4 black control knobs all in a curved row from which he got ALL sorts of tonal possibilities as he ran through them all and showed the basses he was imitating. The pickups on the bass were nowhere to be found! And the headstock was pretty sharp and pointy. Tuners looks pretty small as well. Also, as there were no pickups, there was a black bar above the strings on which to rest your thumb.

So, what bass is this? I'm scoping it out just from the tonal capabilities and great looks.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Line 6 Variax.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yup Variax. I wasnt impressed in real life. I think its one of those 'good idea, bad execution' things. Plus theyre about £750 :|

4. I found one in that music shop in bluewater for £1099. Tried it and was very unimpressed.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Everything in bluewater is 30% more expensive than anywhere else ;)