Identify this bass from sound!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebay_of_pigs, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ebay_of_pigs

Nov 7, 2003
    Alright, I posted this in the Basses section because I'm trying to see if some of you can really indentify different types of woods from tone!

1.) What kind of bass do you think it is?
    2.) What fingerboard wood?
    3.) What body wood do you think it is?

Sorry, no prizes to be awarded at the end! Recorded straight into the soundcard, and then quickly 'produced' with Cool Edit Pro. :D
  2. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Take away the chorus and possible eq and/or dynamics processing. Then we'll see!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And the player - who has the biggest impact on the sound!! ;)

If I could hear me playing different basses, then I could tell the difference - but different players have too big an effect on the final tone!!
  4. ebay_of_pigs

Nov 7, 2003
    Right on, warts and all:
  5. This blind test will prove nothing, it's subjective.

Mp3 are the worst for critical listening.

6. ebay_of_pigs

Nov 7, 2003
    Expand it to .WAV for 'critical' listening. :p

Not even a bass guess!?
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Slap sound is one of the harder sounds to guess (with some exceptions), dozens of axes sound like that.

Some Marcus Miller quotes in there though. ;)
  8. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Sounds like Jazz Bass, that is:

Alder body
    Rosewood fb
    2x single coil pickups

did I win? ;)

edit: oh yea, passive electronics. And body wood might also be poplar or basswood.
  9. ebay_of_pigs

Nov 7, 2003
    Yea! The first guess from mrbungle. I won't give it away just yet, still want to see if I get a few more bites.

You're right on the passive electronics. The clean sample would pretty much give that away IMO.

Bass line attempts Marcus Miller from Run for Cover, except the hiccups at the end. :bassist:
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

First I will guess it it just a 4 stringer. It sounds too clean and even toned to be a 'Fender' Jazz [IMO]. But it could be a 'Jazz' like bass though. Maybe a Sadowsky? Benevente? Hotwire? I don't think it is a Stingray. I played a MTD Kingston that sounded clean like that. Could it be?
  11. ebay_of_pigs

Nov 7, 2003
  12. ebay_of_pigs

Nov 7, 2003
    It is a jazzy four stringer. :p
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I make the same guesses as the previous posters: Jazz bass, lightish body wood, rosewood fretboard (although it could just as well be maple with older strings and/or poor A/D converter in the sound card). Could be a Fender, but not one of the cheaper models. It's hard to tell, since
  14. lemmys rick
    rosewood board.
    I dont know b/c i havent even heard the file yet.
  15. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    MTD comes to mind for me. Maybe a MTD Beast or along those lines?

oh yeah: rosewood board and basswood body

Oh yeah again: the pickups sound like Barts
  16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    MM/J Pickup Combination
    Body Wood... sounds close to ASH, but there are different tonalities among ash.
  18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im wondering how can you guess what type of wood you are listening to? :confused: Seems kind of like a shot in the dark. Im going to guess that the fingerboard is from a rosewood tree born in 1977 and a body made from a 16 year old canadian ash tree. :p Sorry Im entertaining myself here. :D
  19. Maybe Hamer Cruisebass with passive Duncans? I had one that sounded a lot like that. Alder body, rosewood board I would think!
  20. MTD. Rosewood.

Or Lakland with a rosewood.