Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify this bass please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovejam, Jun 23, 2005.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I know its a Yamaha, maybe a custom RBX? Or last years model?

[​IMG]

2. Not custom. I have the 5 string version of that bass in the same colour. With the right strings it's actually a very nice bass.

3. Here in Australia, that was labeled a Yamaha RBX774A, I know the models vary from country to country. It's a more recent RBX because of the 2x2 headstock, the older ones had all 4 tuners on one side.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I don't think it's custom.

RBX 760.

Could be anywhere from a 2001 to 2004 model.

[​IMG]

774's look like this:

[​IMG]

5. Yep, you are right, I looked on the Yamaha site because I thought I stuffed that one up! I forgot that the 774 has the more aggressive body contouring!

6. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Is that color look as nice in person as one might think it would?

7. Yeah, they look pretty slick in the fleash, but I am a sucker for transparent color finishes! The Red transparent is damn nice too!

8. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Just got this bass on ebay for $250 shipped. Seems like a good deal. Sounds like these basses went for $749 a few couple years ago. So I hope it is pretty nice. I plan on putting flats on it.

9. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I Serial Number is N005203.

10. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    It says invalid serial number, does somethinga about that serial number look bad? Can someone who has one post theirs so I can see if it is similar?

11. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    bump, can anyone with a bass like this post their serial number or see what is wrong with mine? Or conform anything about this bass?

12. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    anyone?

13. That looks EXACTLY like my RBX 760A. Same color too.

Mine's the 2+2 arrangement., I bought it brand new 8 years ago.

14. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    How does it sound? I've know they can be punchy, but I'm looking for a warm, fat, vintage tone....

What is the difference between the Rbx 760a and Rbx 760a II or is there one? Wich one is mine?

The last part of the serial number is 03, maybe that is its year.

15. I haven't kept up with the evolution of the RBX series, so I don't know if there's a "II" version.

I strung mine with flatwounds. With the controls "flat", this is a pretty clean, almost piano-like sound. Dial up a smidgeon of bass, and maybe back off the treble slightly, and it gets nice and warm. (this is an active bass). Pay attention to the blend between the neck and bridge pickup too.

16. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I heard that the Rbx 760a II had different pickups than the Rbx 760a, on some pictures I've seen small golf lettering on the bottom right corner and metal flaps with srews that branch out. But the guy I bought it from said it was only purchased 2 or 3 years ago.

And I thought it switched to the Rbx 760a II in 2000....

Can anyone else help?

17. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    anyone?