Identify this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Lizom, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. David Lizom

David Lizom

Aug 18, 2017
    Hello, I am new to the forum and there might already be a thread for this somewhere but I need an answer to this asap. I am considering to buy the bass shown below which is supposedly a Höfner, although I'm not sure whether if the whole guitar is original - appart from the neck - or not. I was trying to search for it online, the seller specified this as a '70s bass, I couldn't find anything similar though. I've tried searching for catalogs from that era but nothing.

Hofner_bass_gitar_eredeti_55662911974891.jpg Hofner_bass_gitar_eredeti_55665911974890.jpg Hofner_bass_gitar_eredeti_55663911974888.jpg Hofner_bass_gitar_eredeti_55559911974886.jpg

Please, if anyone knows anything about this bass, let me know.

Cheers,
    David

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It seems to be a Höfner 183, made between 1975 and c. 1983. Not a very common item, and for some reason it shares features with the contemporaneous Framus Nashville, like the larchwood body, the bridge/tailpiece and the 4-way pickup selector. Maybe Willi Lorenz/Bill Lawrence was somehow involved with Höfner, too, at the time?

Todd Prusin's Hofner Model 183 Bass

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    bholder and HaphAsSard like this.
  3. David Lizom

David Lizom

Aug 18, 2017
    Oh yeah, you hit the nail on the head I think! Thank you!!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021