Identify this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jun 4, 2001.

1. For Christmas I received a Fender jazz bass from my parents as a complete suprise. No my mom bought it for me, which really scared me, but it is an incredible bass. I have no idea what kind of bass it is though. It is a 50th anniversary '96 Fender Jazz made in the U.S.A. It has two passive J pickups, two volume knobs, for each pickup and a tone control. I have been all through Fender's web page and have not found one that looks like it. It was bought for $900 used, however it is in Pristine condition. I mean pristine, the guy who owned it previously never played it and sold it a month after he bought it. I thought it was a Fender American Series, but the tuners are not the same shape at all. They are much much smaller. If anyone has any help they can offer me it would be much appreciated.
  2. 50th anniversery, made in 96? Riiiiiight....
  3. Leo Fender and Doc Kauffman started making K&F brand lap steels and amps in the fall of 1945. Kauffman left in early 1946, And Fender continued as Fender Electric Instrument Company.

1946-1996 = 50 years.
  4. go to a fender forum place and give them your serial number.
  5. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    to my knowledge, the Anniversary series came out on...hold your breath...Fender's Anniversary! (how surprising eh?).

the Anniversary series was comprised of an Anni. Strat, Anni. Jazz and Anni. Precision.
    dunno if there was a Tele or not.

anyway this is a special limited series with all models featuring an attractive flame maple top (real one not Fotoflame) and gold hardware.
    also there is a coin embeded in the rear of the headstock, it's supposed to be made of gold and it says...hold your breath again..."Fender"! (man, do I come with surprises today or what?).

I think they are going to be collectibles as only a few hundred were made of each model.
    I also have a sticker of the Anni. Strat which came with my retired BXR60 (ho! the horror!) which was probably made in '95.