1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identify this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smartinson, Mar 23, 2006.

1. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    I got this pic from from the Garry Goodman site. Can any of you identify this?

photo_3.

2. *info from another post on this forum*

549 Baldwin bass

3. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
  4. Now THAT's an interesting headstock! Would that be considered a "scroll", I keep hearing about?

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    The bridge said "Vibraslim" and If I remember correctly the pickups said Burns.I remember seeing Burns here in the U.S.,and I think they partnered with Baldwin(pianos) and designed a few electrics .The 548,549 and the "Bison Basses.They all had matching guitars.

I was about 13-14 years old when that photo was taken in 1968.Who knows where that bass is now? That cab in the background is a Fender bassman with 2 12" speakers.

No one mentioned my "groovy threads":rollno:

6. I guess there's nothing better than going right to the source!:D
    Cool threads, dood!;)

7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    It was a "fake" sroll,just looking like one head on.There was a clear plastic piece with an illustrated shadow to give the illusion some scroll work was there.Check out those Ampeg fretless basses.I think they had more of a scroll.

8. Thanks.:)

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Here's what a scroll headstock looks like:

Attached Files:

10. Thanks #2!;)

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I love the pants. I used to have a sofa like that!:p

12. plodder

plodder

Nov 9, 2006
    preston uk
    Hi smatinson - I have one of these and gig with it regularly - it is black and is fully original and sounds superb - I will try to post some picks.

Thanks

Sean