1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identify this fender showman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garmenteros, Apr 3, 2013.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    So I recently picked up this fender showman along with two b15s. This showman has four 6l6s and what looks like four 12ax7. I want to know what the impedance is and specific era of the amp and if anyone could be so kind to get schematics links for me. This is a guitar amp but it looks like it might throw 100 watts based on the 4 6l6s but I want to know how to run a correct load to see if I can pair it with my ampeg 4 10 heritage.

IMG_0327_zpsf50c44ee.
    IMG_0358_zps5298389c.
    IMG_0331_zpsbfde5f31.
    IMG_0332_zpsd428635e.

2. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I got it for next to nothing and it sounds with two power tubes running but the amp is having a lot of work done. The filters replaced, tremolo replaced at it is not working, new head box (this one has termites, I never let it leave the car from where I picked it up and to my techs shop) and a set of slightly used tubes from a friend (all 8 of them).

If it helps this amp has the blue pilot light, and one of the transformers isn't a fender, the audio transformer I believe, but it is a correct match.

3. That doesn't look like a Fender production chassis. The rear layout looks wrong.

4. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    The front panel looks like a showman but the rest is up in the air from others I've seen online. One of the transformers is labeled fender as well which makes me think it is.

5. It could be a homebrew from some Fender parts. If you look at the controls you can find date codes that may help with a year anyway.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well.....
    1) Most that I have seen have two or three left to right hazy "stripes" in the metal on the front, not the swirl pattern on that one.
    2) The box is so shallow (top to bottom) that it kinda looks like a late 60s Dual Showman, BUT those had black plastic slider switches, not the metal ones on yours.
    3) The stickers labeling where everything goes scream garage project to me.
    4) The chassis looks to be newer than anything else on the head.

I'm with B on this one. I think that it's either an original late 60s Dual Showman box was gutted, rescued, and a new chassis (along with some other parts) were used. Or this is a home made amp that makes use of some Fender parts and design characteristics of an old Dual Showman. But I could be wrong.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I think it is a Fender look alike home brew too. It just doesn't look right to my eye. Where are the front and rear black or silver plates? You'll need to get a cover to cover the filter caps if you don't have one. It's deadly as it is.

how about an under chassis photo. That would tell us a lot.

8. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I have the cover for the filter caps...

Heres a picture of the inside...

IMG_0359_zps0e7852c0.

I was researching a bit online and came up with some helpful info with the numbers on the transformer...

IMG_0357_zpsa88dd07c.

Fender part number 125A4A, its a 8ohm fender transformer that came with showman amps.

I got this from a vintage fender page on showmans..

By the end of the “tweed era” of the ’50s, Fender had moved to Schumacher transformers for many of its amps. To make the Showman work, however, the company turned once again to Triad, and together they developed a super-robust OT with heavy iron for the kind of punch and tight low-end response this new Professional Series amp demanded. Often referred to as the “Dick Dale transformer,” this Triad unit (Fender part number 125A4A) helped give the new amp an abundance of girth.

9. It is home brew. Fender never put that much care into wire dress. The wire gauges and colors are also wrong for Fender.

10. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks for the replies... The parts already shipped and I'll take pictures when I give it a final clean up and get her up and running.

11. Cool! I say an awesome find. Home brews are not as valuable as manufactured but can be as good or better.

12. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Just got a headcase made for it as the original had bugs in it like I mentioned earlier. The amp is working flawlessly now. I put some slightly used and matched jj teslas in the amp (got them for free from a friend) and it sings (all tubes in both the pre and power sections). I cleaned everything up inside and fixed all the loose wires, replaced the tremolo, replaced the capacitors and put the metal cover on them, pretty much all the love and care the amp needed. Sounds awesome on guitar and tried it with one of my b15 cabs with bass and it rocks. Very happy with my find.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    How about some "after" shots to see how it looks now. :)

14. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    They're comingo, let me see if I can get some pics by the weekend when I mount it in its case.

15. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    You asked about power rating earlier. Weren't the Showmans about 80 watts? Maybe the "Dick Dale" OT ups the later models output a little bit.

16. :D