Identify this Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHaven, Apr 26, 2005.

1. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So working on a project about the Who for school, i came upon this picture of Entwistle and have no idea what kind of bass it is.Whatever it is, its cool.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's a custom-made "axe" bass that Entwistle had made for him in the 60s during the U.S. tours (most likely '67-68). It's whereabouts are unknown, but you can see a similar bass, but with a thunderbird neck & t-bird humbuckers on the "Eyesight To The Blind" with Eric Clapton in the Tommy movie.

Personally, I think this bass is cool as hell, aside from the J pickups. :spit:
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I thought this topic would have more interest. :meh:
  4. Glad to see this thread. My buddy put on Tommy the other day and showed me that bass there. The only thing we knew about it is that it was cool as hell. :)
  5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Sorry Netto tried the Entwistle collection book and didn't find anything. Also tried a google search!
  6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    man, that guy had way too many basses
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, one of the most extravagant bass collections ever.
  8. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea if you guys saw, "The Kids Are Alright" video, there is a scene where they show Entwistle's entire bass/guitar collection. My mouth dropped and still to this day i can not comprehend why a person would need that many basses...or maybe i'm just jealous

9. Just saw it. I remember that bass... :bassist:
  10. The bass in Tommy is different. It was a Peter Cook custom, made from cannibalized Tbird parts. It looks a lot better than this earlier Fender-style one, I think.
    Although strangely, the guy in the film 'Horror Hospital' plays the same bass :confused: Maybe he was a friend of Johns.

Here's the best picture I can find, although it's lurking in the background.