Identify this mid-90's Soundgear!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now, I'm sure someone on this board had a similar one.. Embellisher, p'haps?

The seller claims it would be '95 or '96 5-string with active pups and electronics and that the price would had been something like $1200 - he's offering it for $400.

Any ideas if this would be any good?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good price. Forgot the model though.
  3. Looks like an SR885. I used to have an SR886. The only difference I can see is the pickups. Mine had a more soapbar style pickup though it was still single coiled. List price for an SR885 could have been around $1200. I think the SR886 listed for $1400. Still, they were never worth close to that amount.

My 886 didn't sound very good unless it had brand new strings. Other than that, it was a decent bass. Played very well.

In my opinion, that thing isn't worth more than $300 or $350. Especially since it looks like it has some bad cosmetic damage on the bottom. I think I sold my 6-string 886 for $400.

I think there are probably better basses around for $400. I guess this one could be worth $400 if it sounded good. Give it a listen before you buy but beware, old soundgears seem to be notorious for having a dead tone.

- Dave
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't recall any bolt-on Soundgears ever going for $1200 MSRP in the 90s, but that's just memory I don't have a price list. The neck through models, sure.

$400 is OK but hardly a steal. The ID of it as an 885 is probably correct. I did a quick check at an online dealer who had two 885s in stock for $370 and $400.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe that it is an 885, and I agree that $400 is way too much.
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, thanks for the comments.. I know about notorious Ibanez pup quality(the Japanese SRs seem to be well build but the electronics are crap), so I might offer the guy $300 and swap the pups if the bass is otherwise a player. I'm not sure about the on-board EQ, though.