1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identify this mid-90's Soundgear!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now, I'm sure someone on this board had a similar one.. Embellisher, p'haps?

The seller claims it would be '95 or '96 5-string with active pups and electronics and that the price would had been something like $1200 - he's offering it for $400.

Any ideas if this would be any good?

[​IMG]

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good price. Forgot the model though.

3. Looks like an SR885. I used to have an SR886. The only difference I can see is the pickups. Mine had a more soapbar style pickup though it was still single coiled. List price for an SR885 could have been around $1200. I think the SR886 listed for $1400. Still, they were never worth close to that amount.

My 886 didn't sound very good unless it had brand new strings. Other than that, it was a decent bass. Played very well.

In my opinion, that thing isn't worth more than $300 or $350. Especially since it looks like it has some bad cosmetic damage on the bottom. I think I sold my 6-string 886 for $400.

I think there are probably better basses around for $400. I guess this one could be worth $400 if it sounded good. Give it a listen before you buy but beware, old soundgears seem to be notorious for having a dead tone.

- Dave

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't recall any bolt-on Soundgears ever going for $1200 MSRP in the 90s, but that's just memory I don't have a price list. The neck through models, sure.

$400 is OK but hardly a steal. The ID of it as an 885 is probably correct. I did a quick check at an online dealer who had two 885s in stock for $370 and $400.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I believe that it is an 885, and I agree that $400 is way too much.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, thanks for the comments.. I know about notorious Ibanez pup quality(the Japanese SRs seem to be well build but the electronics are crap), so I might offer the guy $300 and swap the pups if the bass is otherwise a player. I'm not sure about the on-board EQ, though.