Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify this "mystery" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Ok...here's the challenge...using nothing but your well-trained ears...from the clip, identify the following:

1) number of strings
    2) type of strings
    3) electronics (active/passive)
    3) fretted/fretless
    4) pickup type/location
    5) wood combination
    6) manufacturer

obviously, some are very difficult to determine...some easy...some impossible (will rely on lucky guesses)

hints:
    it was recorded straight from the bass to the computer...
    and the player posesses very little talent ;)

ok...lets see how you go...after I get about 20 or so responses...I'll let you in on it...

2. Im gonna say fretless P with a rosewood board...four string... :)

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    fretless jazz with the tone rolled way off favoring the neck pickup.

If the tone isn't rolled off my guess is that it's that 9 string wishbass

Just kidding :)

4. you got a couple right and a couple wrong...good guessing...

want to try some more...like electronics...string type...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would have loved to try but the amount of hiss and distortion made it impossible except I'm pretty sure it's a fretless.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    theres too many factors to guess, ie: strings.
    IMO

btw, wishbass fretless

7. not quite....but, there's definite merit in what you're hearing...

8. it's a fretless...you're correct...yeah, a little distortion, especially at the end...apparently, the artist was having trouble with levels

9. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    its your fretless wishbass, 4 stringer, one jazz pickup, passive

10. no...its not...

its my fretless wishbass 4-stringer, one HUMBUCKING pickup, passive :D, and its being played by one of the WORST players I know...me ;)

i didn't want to let everyone in on it...because its fun to see how people interpret the sounds...(albeit the recording IS a bit crappy)...

anyway...the strings are labella nylon tape...the fingerboard is purpleheart...the neck and body are a hard maple...

since this recording...i've quieted my bass significantly with some shielding and fixing a semi-dodgy solder connection on the volume pot...there's no tone pot on this bass...so straight to the computer is EVERYTHING that is in the signal path...noise and all...

the humbucker was in series for this recording (the way it came)...i've since added a series/parallel switch which gives the bass a slightly different character in parallel (a bit less punchy, a little more clarity)

no points to those who cheated, however :p...we were supposed to use our ears for this exercise...:)

thanks to everyone for their participation.