Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify this Rickenbacker bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Apr 16, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I played a Rickenbacker bass a month ago and haven´t been able to find out the model. It was not 4001/4003 or 4004. It had the same head as the shortscale 3000, golden tuners and bridge. This one came in fireglo and had two black pickups (probably humbuckers) that looked like the ones on the 4004. It had no scratchplate but I think the body had white binding but I´m not sure of that. The neck was bolt on and not throu the body.
    It sounded great and was in great (used) condition. The price was 6500 skr (about $650).
    Does any one know anything about this bass?

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    My guess is that it was not a Rickenbacker. I think the only bolt-on neck RIC did was their "student guitar" model which you have identified. You could post your question over at alt.guitar.rickenbacker and probably get it answered. Those guys over there live to uncover "Rickenfakers."

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree. There's been a whole new crop of old Ric copies popping up here in Chicago - even a pair of them at a Music-Go-Round fraudulently labeled as Rics. And, no - the manager didn't correct the tags when this was pointed out to him.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just in case it is a Rick - I saw a post at another site, where a Rickenbacker luthier said the company never made humbuckers as far as he knows. Maybe the solid covers that Rick used on some basses have you thinking humbucker, a la Gibson, as opposed to their trademark toaster pickups.

If it is actually a Rick, it might be a 4080, (not the more popular doubleneck 4080's). Those may have been bolt-on.

If you can, do a serial number check at one of the sites where the Rickenbacker fanatics hang out. I have a Rick and I know they're out there.

5. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    Howdy, I'm new here so I hope I'm not stepping out of line answering this question.

The bass you played is a Rickenbacker "Hamburg" model (I can't remember if they also had a model # or not). They we're made for just a few years back in the 80's and never became very popular. They were really just a "modern" version of the old 3001 from the 70's. They did indeed come with tiny little humbuckers that sounded pretty sweet for their little size. I don't know what a fair value is today as they are pretty rare. I bought two a few years back for $450 & $500USD each.

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hamburg bass. Guffaw. Well, this JJR is a newbie show-off. I'll just go to my Rickenbacker book to set the record straight. . . and JJR's right. There was a model 2030 Hamburg. Double cutaway body with a contour on the top edge and a removable rosewood finger board neck. Two pu's w/ four control knobs and active circuitry. Introduced in 1984. There was also a model 2050, known as the El Dorado, starting in 1984 too. Gold tuning keys bridge and hardware on a double cutaway bound body. No contour. Okay JJR, according to my book, the 4002 was "the fanciest bass instrument ever produced" (by Rickenbacker) Name 5 its 8 special features.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JJR - With posts that informative, "bring the kids, too!!!" Welcome!!!

I don't think you'll ever find anyone getting on your case about posting, (for their own good, "by gum, Jim. We'll hang the cur from a yardarm.").

8. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    Thanks for the nice welcome guys! This is a neat site and I've been lurking around and learning new things for quite a while now.

The only things I remember for sure about the one 4002 I've ever played are:

1. It was made out of either flamed or curley maple, not the rock maple as most Ricks are.
    2. It had a third (XLR) output jack.
    3. Humbuckers instead of SC's (positioned differently also).
    4. I couldn't afford it (and now I can't find one).

Sorry, that's only four.

To keep with the topic, the Hamburgs that I had ("2030" does sound familiar) were sweet little basses and I sure wish I had kept them. They entered and left my life pretty quickly :(.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Yep, he's right again. According to my book, 4002's had birdseye or curly maple finished in Mapelgo or walnut. Deluxe block binding. Dual double truss rods. Imported ebony fingerboard. Two high gain humbucking pickups. A third output jack for recording. Laminated custom pickguard. Fully bound maple neck.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Welcome to Talkbass JJR!
    We got a few RIC heads around here and one of the longest threads going.

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Welcome, JJR. And be sure to fill out your profile -- it's how we get to know you.

12. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
  13. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    JJR, PLEASE post pictures of your RICs. I counted eight in your profile, including two 4080s. Very impressive. Have you ever come across a "lightshow" bass?

14. I also have that book,I call it my "RICKENBIBLE"...welcome to the board.