Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

identify this spector please!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve-o, Apr 4, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i might be getting this for a trade, but i don't know what kind it is, and niether does the owner. and what is it worth?

pics here

steve

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Trade for what. I personaly, would get it. Trade it. Now.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't think so. I used to play Spectors exclusively for 12 years and......

1. I've never seen one (NS2A) in natural (although this may have been stripped due to the imperfections in the wood that are now visible).

2. The bridge is the larger, heavier Spector bridge (except I've never seen a chrome one).

3. Premium EMGs (NS2As had EMG Select or Selects with "Spector" covers).

4. Strangest of all: The body appears to be flat. Spector/Kramer did make some flat body style NS basses, but they were either essentially flat NS2As or NS2A style bolt-on neck versions.

I would say that is either a one off prototype or a flat bodied NS2A style that someone took a lot of time stripping/refinishing and upgrading with premium NS2 parts and pickups.

Have you tried submitting the photos to Stuart at the Spector site? Is there a serial # anywhere?

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's probably the coolest one I've seen. How much is that thing worth???

--Matthew

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

It definetly looks stripped. The neck in the #12 pic look liked someone filed the profile.

There are alot of imperfections in it so Im guessing it was stripped.

What about the brass nut?? Looks like that is missing.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It sure is. That is another strange thing about it. Lots of guys (including myself) put premium EMGs in a NS2A at one time or another, but that bridge would take some routing since the original NS2A's was smaller, much like the ones Spector is currently putting on their USA bolt on models.

The dots are no question since many NS2s had dots instead of the crown/hourglass inlays.

I still think it's some kind of prototype since the back looks flat, but with all the imperfections in the neck wood, definately stripped IMHO.

7. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    If the bass was painted at some point, why does it have a matching headstock veneer? Why would they bother if it was just going to be painted?

Maybe it had some kind of clear gloss with no tint/color to it.

--Matthew

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Most USA Spectors I've had and/or seen have a black veneer on the headstock face, regardless of color/finish.

The matching woodstain one is another puzzler. I still think this is not a "strip", but some kind of prototype. One in which they didn't care if the grain of the neck/center wood was less than perfect.

9. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Why do yall say the body looks flat? In the last picture the body looks like it's sculpted? :confused:

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thats due to a trick your eye is playing on you due to the roundness of the bottom of the body at that angle (you're refering to "spector 14").

Look at "spector 13" at the way the body is flat against the table. None of my Spectors lay that way without there being plenty of arc and space underneath the middle of the back.

Also the front looks quite a bit flatter than any of my Spectors.

11. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    that is the most beautiful spector ive ever seen :eek: you could trying asking stuart spector himself at the spector website, ive heard hes very friendly with people and answers questions fairly promptly.

12. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
  13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Great catch. Apparently Spector has updated it's history section since I was on the site last ( or I would have looked there. DOH!). I was aware they made some flat bodied basses but I thought they were all bolt-on (according to the old site info).
    :D :bassist:

The only thing that still strikes me as odd is: A NS2B is essentually a NS2A with a flat body. However this bass has premium EMGs and appears to have the larger (standard) Spector bridge, both unlike the NS2A (Spector/EMG Select pups and smaller mass bridge). :confused:

Plus a list of only $699??? Even the seemingly lower quality (compared to this bass) NS2A had a list of $899. Weird.

14. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    It doesn't surprise me that the bass has active EMG's. I'm thinking that back in the day, they thought it would be more of a marketing scheme to have both a curved and non-curved model to choose from.

Also, you may notice how "loosely" the bridge routing is in picture "Spector_11". There is a very small gap between the sides of the bridge and the wood. Now, my Spector's bridge fits VERY snug and I have to pull it out a little for it to come loose. I'm assuming that it was just an after-market customization that was made to the instrument--they're pretty damn nice bridges.

As for the cost of the instrument...this is 1988 we're talking about.

--Matthew

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I know, I owned a couple NS2As. You've missed my point though. 1988 is irrelavent since they were contemporaries. You have two basses from the same era, essentially the same except for the body curve. Why would you put better electronics in the model that is actually $200 less retail?

I'm thinking, if that truly is an NS2B, and the bridge is an upgrade, then so are the pickups.

Thats still the only premium Spector bridge I've ever seen in chrome.......unless it's one of the knockoffs/copies.

16. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I get ya know.

I assume it's some third-party bridge. I got a satin gold one off eBay for my Spector.

BTW---IT'S FOR SALE!!! Shameless? You bet I am!

--Matthew

17. I say the hardware and pickups have been changed out, and the body stripped and finished natural (which was never offered as a finish on the NS2A/B). The only thing that still has me confused is the headstock overlay...

Mike

18. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Look at where the truss rod cover SHOULD be--the inside of it is black! Wouldn't that be a dead giveaway that the bass was in fact painted (since Spectors almost always have a black-painted headstock)? Then there is that darn headstock veneer that matches the body...I don't get that.

This is a silly bass!:confused: :confused: :confused:

--Matthew

19. Yes, it looks from the truss rod cavity like it was originally painted black, but that doesn't explain the overlay. Also, the NS2A's/B's had maple body wings, and those don't look like maple, but the control cavity isn't the right shape for a Spector, either. Heck, the thing may gave had whole new body wings put on, for all I know...

Mike

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow....weird bass...the body wings look like maybe walnut or something to me...especially with the contrast between the neck and body...odd...i would really call up spector on this one. looks really nice, though