Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identify this spector???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rkejeepin, Dec 15, 2005.

1. I sold all of my gear a while back and am starting to get back into it. Im going to invest in a good bass in due time, but for now I just wanted to pick something up to play. I won this auction for a spector earlier, but there isnt a model or anything. Can someone identify it by any chance?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Unless I'm mistaken, it's a Performer 4DLX in Cherry Red.

3. Is it a decent bass? I only paid 150 for it. I played a spector a few weeks ago locally and it felt sweet. I saw this one on ebay and went for it. I hope it plays similar to the one I played. It will do fine for a bit anyways.

Thanks

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure it will. You'd always be able to get that much out of it at least. I think you did good.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Performers are the bottom of the spector line and will not sound or feel like the higher end models, but for $150 I think you did well, very well. They are good basses for the money and the normally sell in the $300 range IIRC.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I agree with Tash...and with the money you saved, may not be a bad idea to consider upgrading the electronics...the EMG Selects in there aren't the greatest, but even upgrading to HZs would be a huge improvement. My suggestion would be to go for an EMG 35CS in the bridge spot, and a 35DC in the neck, with an active EMG BT tone circuit to replace the stock passive tone controls. Down the road, you may want to upgrade the bridge to either a locking Spector Bridge or a Badass bridge.

But you still got a killer deal on that axe...welcome back to where you belong, brother!

7. Congrats on the buy bro! If it doesn't work out, let me know ;) . I'd be more than glad to take her off of your hands.

-ryan-

8. Thanks for the responses. Im looking forward to getting this bass, or any bass actually. I really miss playing.

Thanks again

9. So I got this bass Friday and am extremely pleased. I payed 150 bucks for what feels to me like a brand new Spector bass that somehow got a couple dings in it. Intonation is good and it sounds nice.

Im sold on Spectors and definitely want to try one of their higher end basses.

Later

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think it's a Spector...Uglypants...

Yeah, sorry...