1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identify This Tree and Will it Luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Klaxxi, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    My girlfriend's dad cut this big tree down close to 10 years ago she says, and it's just sitting here and I was wondering what kind it could be and if it could be used to make bodies out of. She said it used to have thin bark, not like the oaks we have around here. All I have are these pictures. We live in southeast Texas near the Louisiana border.

tree1. tree2. tree3. tree4.

2. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I could be very wrong but it looks exactly like the cedar trees we have when they're on the ground. Does it smell like cedar? lol

3. Just laying on the ground for ten years? Does that present problems?
    Dry rot? Bugs?
    IDK. Seems that something dried under controlled conditions would be a better bet.

4. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    Certainly could. I don't really know much about woodworking but I'm interested in getting into it and just thought it would be a cheap, low risk way to learn

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Cheap, sort of, cheap can get very expensive. Low risk? uh, no. That sucker appears to be a mess of checks and rot, you'll be at a very high risk of wasting any time you invest, based on the pictures.

groooooove and bholder like this.
  6. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    That's fair. Mostly why I was asking before trying to mess with it too much.

7. It looks like cedar to me and very rotten. The best way to use wood from trees is to cut it into boards while green (before it's dry), seal the ends with wax or paint, then stack them with stickers in between them. The dry time is anywhere from 6 months to 2 years depending on board thickness, weather, humidity etc.

Mushroo likes this.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    definitely cedar, I doubt it's good for anything more than a bonfire at this point

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
  10. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    The only thing I'd even consider using it for would be a cap, because that's purely decorative. It might turn out to be very attractive...who knows? But it would never do for anything structural.