1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identify this yamaha bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matskull, Sep 16, 2010.

1. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    Hi, I've got this bass at home, it's a yamaha.
    I bought from a friend years ago who bought in a pawn shop, the bass was there for 4 years or so apparantly and he had it for 2 years so the bass is at least 10 years old.

When I got it it was pink but I removed the finish on it to make it natural.
    Anybody knows what is that model?
    I'd like to know its value.

Serial number (on the back of the headstock): JI19096
    thanks

BassYamaha.gif

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Value? Nothing, now that you stripped it. It wasn't worth much before, so don't sweat it.

3. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I don't care about it's value in money that much honestly, I'd like to at least know what the model is though...

4. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    It is definatly an RBX model, maybe a RBX140 or something??

5. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    Looks like it might be an RBX200

6. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    Nice, thanks guys, now I know a little bit more to continu my researches.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    :rollno:

8. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, the body and headstock look identical to my RBX1000, but it doesn't have the 24 fret neck.

92YamahaRBX.jpg

Also, my Yamaha came with the natural satin finish, but I swapped out the electronics for Bartolini's.

Probably the most rock solid bass I own. I gigged this one hard for a long time, and had it restrung and adjusted by my tech weekly. I haven't even opened the case for several years, but I'd bet a nickle that she's still in tune if I were to play it today.

I don't think it has much monetary value, but IMO it's a very underrated piece. I abused it by using the head stock to hit crash cymbals, dropped it, left it in equipment vans for weeks at a time. Never let me down in years of 3-5 gigs a week, wide range of good tones, sounded fantastic for the alt/grunge band I was in at the time.
    Like I said, just a rock solid, nice bass.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yamaha RBX 250.

10. Duplo42

Duplo42

Jan 23, 2007
    Yes, its rbx250. I started on this bass, but black color. What crappy a bass - like, extremely poor-man's P-bass.

But i didn't know that, back then, so i didn't care. And, well, the amp was crappy also, tbh :p Good times, good times. Made my best lines with this crappy bass :)

I tried the fretless version, and there was absolutely no mwah except a bit on g-string in you dug into the string enough. The slides sounded like synthesizer pitch-shift :rollno:

The next generation was tons better thou. And yours, with this natural finish, looks quite OK in its minimalistic kinda way.

edit: oh, it did sound quite nice - with bit more agressive pick tehnique instead of fingers, and on loud-enough, good amp.

11. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    I was curious that's it but at the same time I don't mind cause I'm not trying to sell it. :spit:

12. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    lol yeah it has a "gagare" kindda sound, my p-bass 62 sounds crazy good compared to this one but the yamaha is super light and I prefer to take this one on the road.

13. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    It's definitely a Yamaha RBX 250, it used to look like that:

Attached Files:

14. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010

The value question I thought you could only ask if you were a supporting member. Yet, no one has mentioned that yet? I'm confused.

15. What is a "gagare" kindda sound?

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021