1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identifying a 30-40 year old Ampeg Tube Combo (PICS)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MStrianese, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    Well, the other day I was fortunate enough to get stuck going into the crawlspace under my house to look for a dead rat(Disgusting enough right?). As I'm crawling around in a 2 foot space infested with webs and bugs I look to my right and see what appears to be an amp on its side in no protective housing or coverings (no case, tarp, etc.). Let me remind you the floor is just cement covered with about 1/4 inch of dirt.

I pulled the amp out and it was an Ampeg tube combo amp, I talked to my dad about it, thinking the people who sold him the house 30 years ago left it, but he said it was my uncles. I've tried locating a serial number or something to that extent but believe me when I tell you this is the WORST condition piece of equipment I have seen in my life, it is ridden with rust and even mildew and the tolex is destroyed.:rolleyes:

I haven't had an incredible amount of time lately so I haven't taken it apart and given it a full cleaning, just a quick scrub and I tested it, nothing, which to be honest I knew I wouldn't get anything since it was a full tube amp and it's been sitting down there since before I was born.

The only thing I know for sure is that:
    1) It was my uncles.
    2) It dates back to the years between 1965 and 1975.

:help: I know NOTHING about this amp so any information is appreciated. :help:

And as promised: Pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
  3. I have a 1961 Ampeg reverberocket that looks very similar. Even has the same "random navy flair" tolex. I'd say your amp is probably about the same age, give or take a year. Not sure what yours is, maybe a Rocket or Jet... Never saw staggered inputs like that or a sloped top before. Is there any kind of label on the inside anywhere?

You might want to check http://www.unofficialampeg.com/ or send an e-mail with pics to bluemuse@aol.com asking for help identifying it.

epiphoneampeg.

4. Hi.

Can't help You unfortunately, but man what a find.

Congrats.

Regards
    Sam

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a guitar amp, but beyond that I haven't a clue. But, what a great reward for crawling under the house, right?

6. My guess is that the knobs on top are for volume, tone, tremolo depth, and tremolo rate. And the three inputs are for guitar, microphone, and accordion.

7. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    Man thats a lucky find. A tube Ampeg!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That amp actually dates back closer to 1960-62. I think it's a Reverberocket of some sort. Definitely guitar, definitely badass!

9. Even if it's totally unrestorable and rotten inside, you can bet that someone would give you some cash just for what's left intact of the tolex!

10. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    If I was to sell something like this would somone prefer it original and broken to repair themselves or would they rather have me restore it?

11. Hi.

If You have no intention to use the amp yourself, I'd say to sell it as it is.

This is however a good chance to get a piece of the history and restoring the amp to a working condition (possibly just the caps) might give You a really great guitar amp.

Perfect restoration tends to get quite expensive and while old ampegs are super rare over here (obviously), that's not the case over there. Getting the top dollar for that might cost more than expected.

Personally I like the looks, but then again I'm against restoring vintage wheels to the better than new condition too. I prefer the signs of the use, the roadworn look. It adds mojo, and that's never a bad thing ;).

Regards
    Sam

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    looks like an old model M12 to me. i used to have the same amp but mine was from the 50's (tan tolex /red grillcloth with a script Ampeg logo on the grill).

13. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    I agree, honestly I would keep it which I probably will unless I get a decent offer since I've been saving for a new bass rig, but it's by no means on liquidation.

14. archbishopbenny

archbishopbenny

Aug 29, 2013
    That's an early 60s Ampeg Rocket...probably '60 or '61. It's not a Jet, which is very similar, because those don't have the trem. It's not M-12 because those have a slightly larger cabinet and two channels. This is pre-Reverberocket. That's a great little amp! It's circuit is very similar to a tweed fender deluxe. Probably a pair of 6V6 output tubes, 6SL7 or 6SN7 preamp tubes and a 5Y3 rectifier.

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Did you find this thread in a crawlspace? ;)

16. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Wow, very cool!
    Why can't I find stuff like that in my house?
    Side note: my first bass amp was not a bass amp at all. It was an Ampeg Reverberocket with a Jensen 12" speaker IIRC. Sounded pretty darn good for bass, I might add!

17. Nice find!

By the way - very nice white-on-white Dano 63. That's the best-looking 63 I've ever seen.

18. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Looks pretty f....up
    Maybe it's worth to give it's "guts" a new home.

19. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The thread is three years old. I'm sure the is position of the amp was decided long ago.

Liam

20. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Disposition not "is position". Stupid iPhone app.

Liam