Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identifying a p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Jan 24, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I have a p-bass and I was wondering how to tell what p-bass it is. I hear there are american versions and non-american version.

Without my bass being in front of me, from what I remember, it's a black p-bass with white pick guard and white control knobs. The head says Squire P-BASS By Fender. In small print near the end is says Affinity series.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's a Squier Affinity.

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yep. It says that. So is that american made. I thought I read/heard there are mexican and korean made versions too.

Also, is it possible to know what year it was made?

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's probably fairly new, late 90's to current day. It's made in Korea methinks. Not to demote the bass itself. There are no MIA Squiers that I know of.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I was just curious more than anything. Just wondering if I could figure out how old it was. It's pretty banged up. I bought it used from a small music shop.

6. I had a Squier Affinity P-bass for a while, too. It was made in China.

7. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Is there someplace on the bass that will say "made in" where ever

8. Check the front or back of the headstock, and the neck plate. It should be there somewhere.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    China or indonesia.