1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identifying a Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    So, I've got what I believe is an early 90's Spector NS2. I've scoured the bass looking for a serial number, but cannot find one. It's not on the headstock or neck, it's not under the trussrod cover, it's not in the pre-amp cavity.

The bass is black w/ black hardware. EMG's and EMG pre (I'd have to double check).

Is anyone out here familiar enough with Spectors to help me? I'm pretty sure it's not one of the NS-2A's (Korean imports), as I thought it would have had passive electronics, etc.

Any ideas?

anotherfront.

Fretboard.

Body.

2. I had an early 90's NS-2A, and it had dot position markers. IIRC, the serial# was stamped into the control plate. I believe at that time, only the USA models had the scallop inlays on the fingerboard. I don't know where the # would be on that vintage of USA Spector...sorry.

3. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    I am pretty sure that it is a use because of the inlays for that time period it might be a refinish covering up the marker'd sn #

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Most of the NS2A's had dots, but I do remember seeing at least one NS2A with scallop/crown inlays in the 80's. It still had the "Spector" pickups, I think, and I assume it had the "made in Korea" labeled preamp circuit board. The EQ was supposed to be compatible with "real" EMGs, though. You might double-check the preamp--if it has a "made in Korea" label, you've got an NS2A with upgraded pickups. If it's got an EMG EQ, I'm not sure what you've got, since I'm pretty sure the 80's US NS2's had HazLabs circuits.

Mike

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    This one sure is a stumper alright...
    The black hardware and lack of brass nut sure makes this appear to be an NS2A with crown inlays. A USA should would have a brass nut unless someone changed that too.

6. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    A little strange......maybe an NS-2 someone custom ordered with black hardware. I'd shoot an email to Spector. PJ is very helpful with this kind of thing....

7. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    ...oh and if you decide to sell it......pm me!!!!!

8. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I'll check the pre-amp cavity for the Hazlab pre. Thanks for the advice. The question has been burning for a while.

9. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    So, I open the preamp cavity and I realize...I have no idea how to identify a Hazlab pre. I've searched for pics online, but to no avail.

headstocklogo1.

fret12.

bridge2.

The back of the tuners say "Made in W. Germany". It appears they are aftermarket, as there is a bit of a new hole for where a replacement was made.

headstock2.

preampcavity.

undertrussrodcover.

10. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    well, the tuners are schallers...that preamp looks to be a HAZ preamp simply because all of the components are on a single printed circuit board

11. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    bet that beauty sounds amazing.

12. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    It sings and it growls. Amazingly effortless to play. I've been rockin' out on my '62 RI for the past couple months and decided to give the NS another spin at rehearsal last week. Wow. The jam just went. Now, the '62 will warm the bench for a bit.

13. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    look real carefully at the back/top of the headstock. on mine, the serial number was stamped into the wood, then buried under many coats of paint/clearcoat. you'd have to look at it really carefully in certain light. here's my old one...

IMG_0500.

and a close up of the hazlab circuit...see the "HAZ LABS" stamped into the top pot?

IMG_0618.

IMG_0617.

14. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    yah I have a 90's haz lab circuit in my spector yours could be an early on or I have seen many korea ones with a board like that also

you body also has screw inserts in the electronics area my korean one did not have those ??

15. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I wasn't sure until I saw the photo of the HazLab, since I've only seen the Korean circuit in the NS2A. Based on mostly on the color of the circuit board and the smaller pot sizes, though, I'm pretty sure the one you have is the Korean circuit, which would make yours an "upgraded" NS2A. Still very sweet, though!

Mike

16. halvey

halvey Banned

Jan 31, 2008
    Give Tood Cooke at Spectorworld.com an email. I bet he'd like to see this one and could maybe identify it.

If it had a serial number on the headstock, I'd say it was a special order NS2.

Is there a serial number on the backplate? It seems the 90's ones had a serial number stamped, but the earlier ones did not. My two 80's Korean made ones had no numbers at all, my 90's NS2A had NS6200 (or something like that) stamped on the outside of the plate.

Edit to add: the NS2A's I've seen have the "Spector" stamped in script on the bridge, yours does not. Also, the knobs look like the ones they put on NS2's. My best guess is this is a NS2 with black hardware. Possibly refinished because of lack of serial number.

:confused: Interesting

17. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    And this is where I'm confused.

18. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    email PJ at spector.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    What about the nut material?
    It's doesn't look like a US brass one.

20. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Nope, you guys were all right. NS2a, according to Todd Cooke. I guess I learned my lesson about picking up a bass that doesn't have a serial # and just trusting the seller.

It's funny, even though I feel extremely let down about what I believed to be true about the bass, I still love it. It plays phenomenally, it looks great and it weighs practically nothing. The EMGs kill and it's probably the best slap bass I've ever run across.

At least I know. If I ever do decide to sell or trade, I'll be able to pass this experience off honestly to the next owner.

Thanks to everyone who gave some input.