Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identifying Black Widow drivers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crescent Seven, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I just traded for a Peavey 1820 cab, but I can't tell if the 18" driver in it is a BW or not. Unfortunately I can't post a pic of it, but it has no distinguishing marks on it at all.
    Are any of you guys familiar with the BW drivers? Did the 1820 cab come with a "plain" BW driver?
    Thanks!
    C7

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    All of my 15" BWs have been marked as such(stickers on the basket, or a large badge on the magnet housing), and all shared the heavy alum basket... Some have had alum centers, some not - I haven't had any 18s - so I can't comment on those...

- georgestrings

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I have two 12" BW's that have an aluminum center and are marked black widow on the magnet.

4. Yeah, I was pretty sure they were labeled, but I figured that an 18 year old stock-mount driver might be a different story...
    C7

5. It would say BW on the front of the cab, and im sure that the ones your speaking off always had the aluminium center in the speaker

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Check at the Peavey website, they have pics and a chart of what drivers were loaded into what boxes.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If the basket is replaceable it's a BW. Three allen heads if I recall.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The 18" BW does have the aluminum (or at least "silver") dust cap. That'd be the easiest way to tell.

Tom.