Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

identifying helicore gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by klepto, Feb 15, 2005.

1. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    i have been using Velvet Garbo strings for about a 2 years and lately i have been thinking about switching back to metal strings...
    i broke my G string on sunday night, so i decided to purchase a set of D'addario Helicore strings, medium gauge--i've used them before and i remember liking them

i needed to get a new set of strings on my bass as soon as possible, so i attempted to order a set from Lemur... they only had an incomplete set--no E string

i was able to get an E string from a local music store for about $20 more than Lemur would have charged me
    the staff at this store seem to be a little on the incompetent side

i am somewhat skeptical that the string is the right gauge and even somewhat suspicious that the string could be an A ...i could swear the last set i had on my bass had green and yellow wrappings at the ball end..
    they could have been heavy gauge--i can't remember
    in any case, this string has a blue and yellow wrapping at the ball end and is wrapped in green thread at the peg end--did i get the correct string?

2. Green is E. :)

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Navy blue with yellow spiral at ball-end = orchestral variety
    Green silk at the ball = E
    The gauge will be identified with a silk ring near the metal part, at the peg end.
    The blue ring is medium.
    The red ring is heavy.
    The yellow ring is light.

4. The D'Addario website is actually quite informative and well constructed, unlike all of the others I have encountered. You should find what you need to know there.

5. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think the website has been recently updated, and these infos (silk colour codings) are not available anymore.

6. How convenient.

7. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Do the thicker guage helicores have more or less tension than what they call light gage?

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The heavies are higher tension than mediums, which are higher tension than lights.

9. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    so.. i returned the orchestral string and got the hybrid and i also got my strings from Lemur this morning... they are on my bass now and they feel pretty good, although somewhat thin compared to the Velvet Garbo strings i had been using previously

i kept the string height where it was--pretty high-- since the tension feels relatively slack

i only had a few minutes to play on them before i had to head
    back to work, but i liked the sound...

do any of you have any opinion on these strings?