1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identifying intermittent volume drop on a large board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The title sort of says it all. It's not as simple as testing one pedal/cable at a time, because it just randomly happens for literally a minute or two and then it comes back. It has happened with both bass and guitar so I don't think bass/guitar/amp is the issue.

Any trouble shooting tips for this sort of thing?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How often does it happen?

If it happens every 3 minutes I would simply yank one pedal at a time from the board.

Of course, if it only happens ever hour or so that would take a lot longer for my method to work.

3. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I would estimate it happens once every few hours of playing time.

4. Take away half the board, see which half faults, again, again, again. How big was that board? Ok once more.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OUCH! That greatly increases the amount of time it will take by simply playing with different variations and combinations. Because things get exponentially more complicated when you have to factor in power supplies and cables...... which could also be causing the problem, not a pedal at all.

Seems as though it is time for measuring and testing on an electronics level.

6. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    It was happening to me too, turned out to be a loose connection inside my loopmaster.

7. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    this happened to me when i was using those damn Lava solderless ELC's!

the problem was quickly solved when i threw all of them out and swore to never use them, just kidding, i sold them... i am just glad people still buy that overpriced piece of headache

8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I am hoping it is just a cable but identifying it will be a pain unless I just start fresh.

9. 16/8/4/2/bingo

10. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    My experience too.

11. The unfortunate truth of large pedalboards. They're fun and subjectively versatile, but the imperfections become more pronounced the busier the board gets. Could be a cable, jack or a buffered pedal getting smoked amidst everything else that could go wrong. I hope for your present's sake and your fellow pedal breeders' future's sake that you are able to rectify the problem and report back to us.

12. Pedals in use goes 16, 8, (8), 12, (12),14, (14), bingo

(2nd trials if fault doesn't appear in selected set)

The possibility of accidentally "fixing" a dodgy cable during all of that doesn't bear thinking about. Ideally you would find the fault present until the last trial.