1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identifying my strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by klavdimundi, Oct 3, 2017.

1. klavdimundi

klavdimundi

Jun 20, 2010
    Hello guys, I have a silly question. I need to change my strings, and I don't know the exact model of the strings that I'm using, but I like them, so I want to buy the same set. I am pretty sure that they are GHS. At the end they have black silk, at the ball end there is no silk. And the core on the E string is visible. Thank you!
    PS: The strings came without a package, thats why I don't know anything about them.
    Edit: And they are roundwound.

2. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds like Pressurewounds. I have an older set but the E string is wrapped all the way... @michael_t would know for sure.

3. GHS Pressurewounds do have black silk, but NO EXPOSED CORE on any of them.

4. What makes you think they're GHS?
    Any chance of you being able to post photos - one for each end (headstock & bridge)?
    Can you measure the actual distance from the ball end to the silk on the E string?

5. klavdimundi

klavdimundi

Jun 20, 2010
    My teacher gave them to me to test them and he sad they are GHS. But he doesn't know what kind of GHS. Here are some pictures. Sorry I can't measure them.

Attached Files:

6. Looks to me like the E string is 36.5" in winding length, while the other three are 38".

I can't think of any GHS strings with black silk and tapered E. Any ideas, @Jon Moody ?

Or, could they be La Bellas? What would you say, @SLaPiNFuNK ?

One thing I can tell is that bass looks just like my 2008 Highway One Jazz.

Buzz E likes this.
  7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    There are none. Best bet is that it's a Private Label set of Super Steels with a Contact Core E string.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  8. klavdimundi

klavdimundi

Jun 20, 2010
    Because it's a 2007 Highway One.

Is there any other brand of strings with the same charakteristic? Can I find the same strings on the market ?

9. :thumbsup:;)

Sorry I couldn't help you with the strings.

10. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
  11. klavdimundi

klavdimundi

Jun 20, 2010
    It's ok, you helped.

Thanks. I can't find them in Thomann, but I will look around more. They schould be available in Europe.

12. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Take the bass with you to a good music shop. They should be able to match them for you, at least in part - gauge etc.

13. Peavey strings had black silk at tuner and exposed core E. I don't remember if they are silked at the bridge.

trothwell likes this.
  14. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Sounds like you'll have to experiment. Just buy a brand new set of roundwounds; you may even like them better. What you pick is your choice, but I like stainless steel.

15. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    GHS has the Progressives which are an alloy and have exposed core. great strings smooth to the touch, sound warm like a nickle string not overly bright like steel.

16. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    True, but Progressives have burgundy silk ends. And from last I checked, we don’t do Progressives as a “private label” for anyone, with black silks.

17. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Yes Jon, I was mentioning them as an alternative since he liked the expose core on the E.