1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identifying old B15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pdmart, Aug 25, 2012.

1. pdmart

pdmart

Aug 25, 2012
    I just bought this old B15 from an gentleman who played it back in the day... He says he bought it in the '60s, and that it is all original. So far I've checked the EIA on the speaker and it seems to check out (137(CTS)651). However, the cabinet seems odd. I can't find any images or information that explain the form and placement of the logo, or the piping on the front of the cabinet.

Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That's a 67-68 model. That cab style was used very briefly before the transition to the 69 blue line style heads and all black cabinets but after the introduction of single baffle internal construction.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Check the Portaflex club thread. Theres pics and info on B-15's for days. I've got a '67 myself (same cosmetics) but non-original grill cloth and a different logo than you have.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It is a very nice looking amp in terms of condition. The transformers look original. An amp like this that has been well cared for is a big plus.

That black parallelogram behind the Ampeg logo on the cabinet is interesting. Usually you see these cabs with the logo mounted directly against the grille cloth. That doesn't mean that it isn't original. As it is, it makes the logo stand out better.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ever want to sell it, I get first dibs ;) Beautiful!

6. pdmart

pdmart

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks for your posts. This is all very useful information. I'm really getting to like this amp. Just like the first time I played an ES335 (yeah, six string, I know!) I now appreciate what all the fuss is about. The B15 has a sound and a soul that is hard to describe -- but you know it when you hear it.

7. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Find the Jess Oliver thread. Those guys bleed B-15's and can help answer a myriad of questions. Arguably the best group of people on TB.

And congrats. I just got my hands on a 67. She'll get a full resto as soon as my Dually build is done.

And I agree with your comment on the soul of the tone. I have never heard anything like it. I first played through the one I bought in 91 and have been patiently waiting for the previous owener to cough it up.

If anyone ever figures out how to capture the tone of these things and build it at a much higher wattage, they would become filthy stinkin rich over night.

And no, it's not the SVT. Close maybe. Call it vague vicinity but nowhere near dead ringer.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Sweet rig pdmart !

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Work with the EQ and you can get very close.