Identifying problem with Peavey T-Max Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LilRay, Dec 27, 2007.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I have an older Peavey T-Max head that just started giving me trouble (only after 12 years of service). I just wanted to see what everyone thought my problem might be.

So here goes;

I can play through this amp for 15-30 minutes before the volume will drop dramatically. It will then stay at the low volume for 1 to 2 minutes and then return to full volume for 1 to 2 minutes and drop volume again. During the volume drops it also will distort like an overdriven tube channel, Yet staying in the solid state channel (not switching). Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? I have no idea what might cause this.

Any help is appreciated. Ray

2. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Three days and not a single response. Boy you guys are a lot of help.
    Thanks

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    either a cooling issue or the PS is dying

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Is your cabs ohm rating lower than your amps rated for?
    If your amp has a fan, is it still working?
    You could also make sure there's not a thick film of dust inside your amp that might possibly be causing it to overheat.

You might find some help by skimming through some of these older threads:
    http://www.google.com/custom?domain...;S:http://www.talkbass.com;LP:1;FORID:1&hl=en

Good luck man...

5. Contrary to popular belief, the entire forum hasn't encontered every problem possible with every bass head known. There is Peavey rep here who answers questions as soon as he sees them. It's entirely possible he's on vacation considering the time of year. Give ait bit more time before complaining that someone here can't pinpoint your problem for you.

Mike

6. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Mike, I respect your point. however you or someone could've made me aware of the Peavey rep here three days ago as a new member I am unaware. And I am fully aware that every problem hasn't been resolved here. But I never asked for someone to tell me exactly what was wrong with my Peavey. I only asked for opinions. Thanks for your kind Welcome to the Community.

Thanks to all who are offering their opinions.

I've tried cleaning the dust out with compressed air. The issue may very well be overheating or the power supply.
    My head is rated at 2 amps and my cabs are 4 ohm 15", and 8 ohm 4/10". Thanks

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Sounds like an easy fix for a qualified tech. I don't recommend that you try and fix it yourself. You can look on the Peavey website for contact info. I suggest that you call and get instructions for sending the amp in to us to get it fixed right. They will go through it and give it a tuneup while it's there.

You can isolate the problem to the preamp or power amp by going directly into the power amp with an audio source.

It could be a loose power transistor. A transistor may not be making good contact with the heat sink. This could cause that transistor to activate the current limiting protection in the amp which would cause it to clip early on one side.

It could be a bad solder connection that expands when the amp reaches a certain temp. This could be proven by whacking the amp on top with your fist. If this causes it to fail, then someone qualified could touch up the circuit board.

If it only happens when the DDT circuit is active, there could be a problem with that circuit.

It could be a failing solid state part. This is tricky to find, but I think it's the least likely.

8. I made you aware of the Peavey rep as soon as I saw your thread. I own a T-Max and generally will open up any Peavey thread when I see it. Depending on the question, I might have some insight, I might not.

Please reread the thread up to the point of my post. Your "Welcome to the Community" was in direct response to a sanctimonious "thanks for nothing" post of yours. You get out what you put in.

Mike

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021