Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identifying Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by watspan, Dec 12, 2002.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Are there any industry-standard markings, colors etc. that can help id strings as to mfg, type gauge etc??

2. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    To some extent. I'm familiar with several makers and if there's a specific set you wish to ID, post a description of whatcha got and we'll go from there.

3. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i picked up a used reverend rumblefish 4 string which came w/ a set of flatwounds, i'd guess around 45-105, w/ red silk windings; have a very smooth feel and a very bright tone--any guesses as to who may have made these strings? sorry i don't have anymore to go on. thanks!

4. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    That might be enough, watspan: Those sound like Thomastik-Infeld jazz nickel flatwounds (JF344). Most definite if there's red wrap at the ball end as well as the top. I remember Rotosounds having red wrap but I think thet's their roundwound SKU and they don't have silk at the ball ends. (I could be wrong about the roto's as it's been a long time since I used them) Another thing about the T-I's is that the E should have noticeable gaps (although very small) between the windings as they do not touch each other. This leads to their flexibility. Also since they're pure nickel, they do not appear shiny, like chrome, in appearence but rather a little dull. If these things match, you've got the T-I's. And on a rumblefish they probably sound SWEET!

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks for the response--they do have the red on the ball end too--i'll check on the e-string gaps-and you are correct--this thing sounds awesome! i've read lots of favorable reviews of the TI's--now i know why!

6. Rotosound jazz flats do also have red silkings (I've got a set on my Hohner acoustic) at both ends.

they also have noticeable gaps between the windings (especially the E string), and are bright-toned.

I've never tried TI flats, but other TB'ers have said they're lower in tension than Rotosounds (a 45 105 set of Roto flats should be quite stiff in tension).

7. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    I found info and I thought the Roto flats had green silk but Mock's right, they have flats with red wrap. There's another way but it's less obvious; look at the ball of your G string and see if you notice any silk (not-colored) where the core wraps around the ferrule. It should be seen coming from within the red wrap along with the core and should be on all the strings, but it's easier to see on the G. If it's got silk inlay it is a T-I.