Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Identifying These Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EternalDarkness, Sep 26, 2004.

1. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    Hey everyone, this isn't really that important, but I've been puzzeled which Basses these Bassists use? And was wandering if you had any idea which Axes they use? :bassist:

Here is the 1st photo, it shows King ov Hell (Gorgoroth), using a Fretless 5 string, with humbuckers, a throughneck? but there seems to be no labels on his basshead?

[​IMG]

---

The 2nd photo shows Mortiis (Emperor). You can't see all the bass, but does it look like a Fender P Bass?

he is in the middle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---

The 3rd shows Tchort (Satyricon Live Session), I have no idea what he is playing? It has a RBX body?

[​IMG]

2. First one looks like a Peavey Cirrus 5.

3. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    Thanks Man! :cool:

I really love the sound of that bass, King ov Hell is on the last 2 Gorgoroth records, and you can really hear some nice low end 'thuds' :bassist: are they quite expesinve? usually arround $600?

4. Well, if I am correct on what bass it is, I believe its more in the $1000, but then again, I could be wrong which happens from time to time...

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That isn't a Cirrus. The second resembles a P, but I doubt it is a Fender. The third says LTD on the headstock, which is a bargain line of ESP guitars.

6. Looked kinda like one...I haven't seen to many Peavey basses...so it was an educated guess. Oh well...back to the closet.

7. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    Thanks for the info,

I looked at pictures of Peavey Cirrus basse and they looked really similiar, but for example the right hand piece of wood curves downwards, whereas on usual Cirrus they curve upwards?

I tried looking at Fender P Basses and they all; look really similiar but they dont seem to have the same colours in the pickguard area?

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You can also tells its not a Cirrus by the headstock. The second one, possibly a G&L. I'm not sure their P-bass model name.

9. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London

I never heard of G & L, what does it stand for? :)

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    George and Leo

11. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    thanks

Is it a fairly unheard off brand? that's hard to find in shops (like the Essex bass? I tried looking for Essex bass in shop's websites & shops and they don;t do them, only the internet)

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    SX is a house brand or Rondo Music. You might find them used around, but its unlikely.

G&L are fairly popular among knowledgeable players. It is the last of the three companies that Leo Fender started, and he claimed it was his finest work.

13. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    Would the G & L basses usually cost the same as an American Fender P Bass?

All these bands are from Norway, and the 2nd series of pictures (p bass) is taken in 1993, hahah I find it kinda weird how he's playing a G & L, becuase I only heard of it now
    :)

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    It depends on the model. Generally they cost more, but used, their quite a bit cheaper, and they have the Tribute series, which is their bargain brand, which go for about $500-550 USD. But used G&L would be a good way to go. I'm sure you could nab that model for $400-450.

15. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    not bad :)

I was actually hoping he was using a cheap Squier P Bass :D but i thought that wouldn't be the case

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Why do you want to get specifically what they're playing?

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    G&L's been going for...what, two decades? They aren't recent ;).

In any case, it's most certainly not a G&L. G&Ls have very distinctive and large bridges. Not a G&L. The bridge looks chunky like a Hipshot, but without the sweeping curves on G&L.

First one isn't a Cirrus either. Body shape is wrong, Cirrus basses have gold hardware, the bridges are different.

18. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i am a G&L player and i couldnt help but laugh when you asked if they were comparable to an essex. G&L's retail at over $1000 and they are worth every penny of it. they are a very well kept secret and therefore used prices are a lot less. i play the G&L sb-2 which is the p/j bass and the sb-1 is the pbass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now, ask me if thats like an essex again and ill have to...i dont know what, but it wont be pretty.

i do know though, that that is not a G&L that he is playing because of the headstock in the first picture. if you want to learn more about G&L basses go to www.thedudepit.com and scroll down until you see the G&L forum. G&L basses are definitely Leo Fenders greatest work of art. a G&L can blow any fender (i know people may disagree with me) out of the water. once you have played a G&L you will be forced to agree. Leo Fender is the man and the "Fender" basses have been seriously diluted from how leo originally made them and the G&L guitars and basses have remained the same.

www.glguitars.com

sorry for the ramble, i am just very oppinionated and want to help people understand G&L basses more.

19. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    That G & L looks Beautiful :cool:

I'm sorry I compared them to Essex basses :bag: :(

I only heard about them yesterday, and before that didn't know of their existance.

20. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    What black? Plenty of P-basses have black pickguards. Plus, one of the cool things about Fenders is that there are a lot of after market companies that will sell you parts to customize and upgrade them. Also there are companies that make wild, cool and dumb after market pickguards for fenders.