1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc61, May 30, 2018.

1. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I picked this up today for $50, Only identifying marking is Made in Japan on the neckplate. Works fine, truss rod works etc. Only issue is a hum. Probably a grounding issue. Scale is 30.5" . I'm thinking there was a label or name plate on the headstock that came off. Any idea of maker? year?

bass.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Marc61 likes this.
  3. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    For the price though you can't beat it. I didn't think it was worth much. Just surprised it could plug and play without much issue.

4. Kingston was just one of a number of names that this bass might have been sold under. If you were a retailer and you ordered instruments from various Japanese companies, they'd put whatever name you wanted on them, while selling the exact same instruments to other retailers with other names on them.

Marc61 likes this.
  5. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    That's interesting because the only thing that's making me thing it's not Kingston is the Kingston plate is screwed into the headstock. This one looks like a plate was glued and fell (or was pried) off. There's no screw holes