1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ID'ing a 1966 Jazz neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michael_atw, Jan 24, 2012.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/feeler-1966-fender-jazz-804145/

Some of you might recall that bass for sale 4 months ago. Well, I purchased it a week or so ago on Ebay. I did not realize it had been for sale on here back then and only came across it doing a search out of curiosity. I believe I bought it from someone other than the seller of it in that listing so I'm not bashing him (it came to me from NY).

I don't have much experience with 60's Jazzes but I have a good amount of experience with vintage Fenders and their associated parts. The pickups (which were annoyingly coated with copper tape, pots, knobs...pretty much all the body hardware looks legit. Tuners look legit, and neck plate as well. Body, I don't know. I am pretty sure though.

Anyways, when I viewed that listing and realized what I bought was identical, I was wary of the neck stamp. I could tell it was fake from that listing so it was just a matter of time before I could look at it for myself. The seller who sold it to me declared that it had clay dots; I questioned this immediately as in the Ebay listing it was hard to see but they looked MOP. He reassured he thought they were clay. They are clearly MOP. He told me he had an expert check it out when I asked if the "'62 neck" had a stamp or date. I'm doubting that claim.

Anyways, I got it just a couple hours ago and have already combed it over. The neck has a few significant things I had questions about. First, the Patent number on the decal is not the same as the ones I find on the vintage guitars info web site. Was there ever a variation in the patent number? The whole decal doesn't look right to me, it is presently under the finish on the headstock.

Another question: were Fender necks at that time thinner at the butt? This one literally had (metal!) shims on each side because the body pocket was too big. At first, I thought to myself "someone widened the neck pocket". But after putting on a Standard MIM I found it fit perfectly. The neck measures at 2 5/16". That just sounds plain wrong.

Inevitably I'm stuck wondering "what the hell is this neck?" The body for all intents looks to be 1966 with pickup and pot dates to substantiate. Another question: was there any routing under the bridge in '66?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    apparently, most of the pictures have been removed from the thread that i linked, so maybe you can post some of your own.

'65 necks had radiused fingerboards and pearloid dots.

what routing are you referring to under the bridge?

and if the decal is under the finish, it seems that it was redecalled (possibly with the incorrect one from your description with no pics) and may have been sanded narrower at the heel.

3. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Whoops. I'll have some up here very shortly. The fretboard has a radius, can't measure it but it looks comparable to a recent MIM Standard; this definitely does not have clay. I doubted that it was a '62 while in the act of purchasing; but had hoped it would be a '66 and match up with the body.

I asked because there is no route. I know in the 70's they had those "pilot" routes under the bridge for the ground wire.

I at this point have no doubt it is not a legit decal. At this point, I must figure out if it is even a legit neck. I don't see why the neck would have been sanded at the heel.

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm talking about the radiused 'veneer boards where the bottom of the fingerboard is also raduised where it glues onto the maple. if it is, it's definitely not a MIM neck. and MIM necks do not have pearloid dots, but that could easily be modified.

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I know it's definitely not a MIM neck; just making neck pocket comparisons. This one is "radiused", that is, the maple has a radius with the rosewood.

Batteries died.:mad: Delay of game.

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well then, it's most likely a real vintage fender neck, now go charge those batteries and take some good pics of it so we can investigate it further. ;)

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    1966 Jazz Bass pictures by Kerrycares - Photobucket
    did you see these? there was a ton of pictures there.

8. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Ah yea, wondered where they went! That's what I was referring to in the original post. It pretty much reveals most of what I'm talking about, with exception of a picture of the neck in the neck pocket and how it is no where near the width it should be.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup I remember that ad. And here is what I had to say about it then. When disassembled (tuners removed)look at the details:

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    nope, i didn't see those. thanks narud.

from the pics, it looks like an early '65 j bass neck, but what's stange about it is that it has lollipop tuners on it. '65's had nickel plated reverse tuners, and there's no evidence of the reverse tuner's screw holes which are in different locations than the lollipops. so, i think that it's actually an early '66 dot/bound neck that was narrowed by sanding the edges removing the binding, and then re-decalled (the decal looks kinda strange) with a bogus ink stamp on the heel of it. it looks really narrow at the neck pocket so, IMO i do think that the neck once had binding and is actually the original one that came with the body (which was obviously originally 3TSB).

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Yep, I saw that info. I knew the stamp was bogus when I saw it, but I had already purchased the thing.

That begs the question, what's up with the decal and why is the neck too thin for the neck pocket?

12. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY

Hmm...profoundly interesting. The edges of the fretboard feel odd to me. Like, sharp. Maybe it's just the thin-ness; now that I give it a pat-down it's not as pronounced as it originally felt. Definitely feels like a Geddy Lee-type thinness, which is preferable to me.

Would there be any indication of the binding being removed? Some sort of physical evidence? It does look to have been re-fretted.

I figured it to be a refinish. Definitely old.

13. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
  14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    SAM_0003.

djbass.

could be a repro, what are the patent #s?

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it's definitely a repro, look at the shape of the 'd' in fender and the decal's perimeter coutout line.

plus, it's been already established that it has been refinished.

16. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Now that you mention it, the "d" does look a bit swollen. Nice relic job, do you know where I can get the broken headstock look done to my bass and how much they'd charge? :bag:

17. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Yeah, I was making sure my suspicions were legit.

I knew when I bought it, at the price I got it, that there was some question. Initially, I was wondering on the neck's authenticity, not really on the refin. but on the width of the neck at the butt.

It's pretty significant, I'll get a pic up shortly. The headstock crack is worrying me but it has been repaired, as stated.

Put it back together and am presently playing it. It's got Rounds but the neck feels incredible. And in it's present state, probably the most percussive bass I've ever played. I'm not a slapper but this thing makes me wanna slap slap slap all night long.

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, look at the shape of the 'n' too.

19. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Top of the "e" doesn't turn down enough (or have room to) either. Looks like they free handed it. Wouldn't it have been easier to scan the real deal?

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    From the snips of history I gathered from that link and the seller I bought it from, the refinish is old. Probably the neck and body happened at the same time, and it was definitely decades ago. My guess is they had no way of just buying up a $25 waterslide. I don't know how they did it back then (damn, this refin is probably older than me!), some of you would know that much.