idiot flesh

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, May 12, 2004.

1. am i alone on this one?
    i lurve this band with all my butt, and i miss the live shows something fierce.
    sometimes sleepytime gorilla museum is a poor substitute.
  2. ok, nobody.
    consider this band recomended to all. do your homework. there will be a test in the morning.
  3. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    you know sleepytime is a good listen.
    at least nils tries...
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like Sleepy Time; leave me alone, P Witty! Idiot Flesh was long gone before I moved here.
  5. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    check your pm, transplant.
  6. I play in a band with Gene Jun, their old violinist/guitarist/percussionist/singer. He recently put together a DVD compilation of various material. We're going to be doing an idiot flesh web site at as soon as I can find the time. I do the sleepytime site too.

- Dave

Here's a recent posting from the Idiot Flesh Yahoo group with more info:

Hi All,
    The new Dvd version of Idiot Flesh's View the body is about 2 hours long. It has parts or whole bits of 4 songs from the unreleased album as well as plenty of other favorites.It even has a uber rare version of the last Idiot Flesh song written called " The Devolver" as well as a version of "Let the Dog Sing " from the last Idiot Flesh show ever and features the wonderful sideshow firedancers. Many of the songs are edited from various shows and some have rough moments. Some songs are incomplete. I personally think the footage is fantastic and want more. Much much more Mindwarper

Contact Gene for more information at

The new Dvd version of Idiot Flesh's View the body has chapters at these points
    The idiot song ( video )
    chicken little ( video )
    ( violence)
    nothing song ( promo )
    twinge ( live )
    blue head
    idiot song
    teen devil worshipper
    ( band banter)
    puppet theater
    mother ****er
    black math
    trampolines on quicksand
    black sand
    let the dog sing
    not my song
    black sand
    love ride
    (apology for footage/ more violence) end of View The Body DVD

7. nice. how much is the dvd? i'll be contacting gene this week.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dave, can you get me into Sleepy Time? They need a stick player, no? :D
  9. Don't know about that but you're welcome to come by my studio in SF and jam with us sometime. Give me a private e-mail or something and let me know what evenings you're available.

Did you sell the Warr yet?

- Dave
  10. It's not cheap. I think it may be around $35. Gene can send you a catalog of all the Idiot Flesh material that he has available.

- Dave
  11. without even seeing it, i'm sure that's worth every penny.
  12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I traded it. After next week I will have not one, but TWO Steinberger XM with Transtrem. God, I rock.

I'd love to come jam. What kind of band is it you're playing with?
  13. between dave and gene, i would imagine they lay down some mean polka! maybe a nice pretty waltz or two?
  14. Cool. I'm glad you were able to get something you wanted for it. I wish I had the $$$ to buy it back from you. Tell the guy you sold it to to let me know if he ever decides to sell it. I'm hoping it will come home again someday.

The thing with Gene is mostly experimental right now. We started out working on some of his material but we mostly do these long psychotic improvisations. I do a lot of bass looping and dense bass stuff and he lays down some really intense and unique guitar playing. He can get sounds out of his guitar that I didn't even know existed.

His stuff with Idiot Flesh is great though. I highly recommend getting The Nothing Show and Fancy. The DVD is great. It's not really DVD quality since the sources were VHS tapes but it's as good as you're going to get. I'm hoping that he'll release one of the many complete live shows he has on video. He's lent me a couple. They're pretty amazing. The show that they put on was so complex and original and unique that it's hard to describe. I wish I was around here when they still played together. At least I can see Sleepytime and jam with Gene. Plus, Wes, the drummer, plays with Bitches Brew who my band is opening for in July. I'm hoping to sit in with them. I've sat in with Bitches Brew a few times in the distant past.

Wes, by the way, used to play (still plays?) in a band called Schloss that is two basses and drums. 4-string Alembics.

- Dave
  15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've heard of the band and seen pics of them but never heard their music. They use a bunch of weird instruments don't they?
  16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    They build a bunch of their own instruments. They are way cool, you should try to catch them sometime (like the next time the play Bossier City :D ).
  17. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i saw SLGM live here in LA.

talked to the guitarist/singer about Fred Frith/Art Bears/Henry Cow.

big influence on him.

i have an IF 45.

love em!

18. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    dave: do you know when sleepytime will drop their new release?

i'm worried they haven't even started recording...
  19. i could be wrong, but i was working with dan rathman's partner at his recording studio a while back. i was under the impression that they had already started work on the album. but that was two years ago.
  20. I think they've recorded all their parts and they are now mixing. They should be finished this summer but the release won't be until Fall/Winter of this year. I think they have one track out now on a compilation (Bring Back The Apocalypse). I'll see if I can get a copy to post at the web site.

- Dave