1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Idiot Needs To Restring A Status 3000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stephen Baldwin, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Stephen Baldwin

Stephen Baldwin

Apr 21, 2010
    Good evening bassists:
    I have a very easy question for those in the know.
    I have owned a Status 3000 graphite headless for many years and I'm finally going to use it for real :)
    I suddenly realised that I have no replacement strings for it, and, having never owned a headless bass before, would be unsure as to how to correctly restring it.

Would anyone know?
    Are the strings single or double-balled?
    The scale length?
    Clues/links/tips etc. as to how to string it correctly?

Rgds
    Steve Baldwin

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm sure if you email Rob Green at Status he'll tell you everything you need to know, and you'll probably get a response within the next two days. Fantastic customer service.

3. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    just look at the strings and see if theyre double ball...

and take a tape measure and measure from the nut to the bridge and theres your scale length

so that takes care of your first 2 questions

4. Stephen Baldwin

Stephen Baldwin

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks guys for your responses.
    Tim: I will call Status.
    Canabass: looking at the strings isn't so easy since I can only see the ball at the head end. On the '3000, at the bridge end, the strings disappear under a plate that is screwed down.
    I am unclear as to whether it is necessary to dismantle this to look at/change the strings or not. I don't want to upset the setup of the machine by doing something I shouldn't.
    I believe double-balled strings are a standard length? 35 3/4 inches or sthg? From my measuring, I suspect the '3000 is double-balled.

Again fellows, thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

5. Stephen Baldwin

Stephen Baldwin

Apr 21, 2010
    Just to complete the saga.
    Per Tim's recommendation I called Status and had a productive chat with Dawn who gave me all sorts of useful info on my guitar.
    It is actually a 4000.
    And it will take single or double-balled strings [double recommended]. To remove the [double-balled] strings simply loosen the strings at the bridge/tuning end. Each bridge-end ball sits in its own movable slot which slides out [towards the neck] as the string loosens, revealing the bridge-end ball. Simplicity itself to lift the balls out of the slot at the bridge and the [non]head end.

A learning experience.