Idiot now posting.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alitz, Aug 20, 2013.

1. alitz

alitz

Jun 29, 2009
    Greensboro NC
    Hello,
    I haven't posted on here for quite a while since I bought a Fender Jazz Bass Special a few years ago. To catch you up on some history, my bass originally had a nice fretless neck which, since I wasn't really a bass player before, I never got use to, being mostly a guitar player and not much of one of those. So, I ended up taking the fretless neck off and obtained a MIM Fender Precision bass neck on ebay since the JBS has a precision body and the only bass I ever really played any on before was a 70s era Precsion bass. I attached the new neck, had it set up by a pro, got it back and almost thought I could actually play bass, it was so easy to play.
    However ... I guess because of the differences in dates and factories, there was about a 1mm gap between the end of the neck pocket and the end of the neck. I have been told that, other than my own interest in aesthetics, that this shouldn't be a problem since the guitar intonated correctly and sounded great. Well ... over the next couple of years, it always sort of bugged me when I took it out and thought of solutions. I know that I could have doweled the holes and redrilled and it still should have been able to intonate but that solution never quite appealed to me, even with the possibility of metal inserts to improve stability, so I decided to check into buying a new neck.
    I figured that I should avoid MIM necks, look for MIJ necks since the original was MIJ in the 80s, and possibly look for 21 frets to hide any gap that might result in a neck with the same problem. And I found it. A Warmoth Goncalo Ives neck with ebony fingerboard and 21frets. Perfect!!!:hyper: And it was until I got a hold of it.
    This brings me back to why I came back to TalkBass to post to the Bass luthiers.
    While attempting to install this beautiful neck, I found that the tuner bushings seemed a bit large and that a little soap was not enough, so I proceeded to try and ream out the holes without the proper reaming tool and get the bushings to fit. And here's the idiot part. I used a rubber hammer to try and tap the tuner bushings into the holes and after reaming and soaping and reaming and soaping and reaming and soaping, I guess I "tapped" a bit too hard and put a crack in the headstock that goes almost all the way through two of the tuner holes. As I said, and I am sure you guys agree, "What and idiot".:oops:
    So, is the repair simply wood glue and a clamp?
    And obviously, the holes still need reaming so what do you use for this? And should I do the reaming before or after I repair the crack?
    Finally, are Hipshot (Not the Lyte) tuner bushings standard 17.5mm?
    I hope you guys can help.
    Otherwise, I have a broken Warmoth neck and (MIM Precision Bass Neck) for sale if any of you guys are interested. (Not a supporting member so I couldn't go to the classified.)

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Force the crack apart, glue and clamp it. It should be an easy fix. Is the neck finished, or is it bare wood? If its bare wood you should be able to fix it and not be able to see the repair.

3. alitz

alitz

Jun 29, 2009
    Greensboro NC
    Thanks for the answer. It is finished wood, but the crack is on the grain. Should I ream the hole for the ferules to fit before the repair?

4. Force apart, work glue in - remove device used to force apart - clamp.

Ream AFTER gluing, and spend a couple dollars for a proper tool or pay someone to do it for you.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Giggity:D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021