1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Idiot question about pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassgod76, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    :help:Can someone tell me how a pot affects tone and what 250 and 500 mean? Or rather where I can find this info?

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a Jaco"ish" jazz project and want to use SD antiquity II set. I want the pots that would maximize tone for this set of pickups.

Thanks!

2. 250k pots are pretty much standard issue for bass guitars because they automatically send some of the high frequencies to ground.

500K pots are also used for bass but roll off less highs to ground and therefore sound "brighter." they are common place in guitars.

there are also 1meg ohm pots that roll off very little high frequencies and are "VERY bright" but also very uncommon in guitars and basses.

3. I tried 500K pots on one of my basses but changed back rather quickly because the 500K for volume rolls off quickly and not as much adjustment as with using a 250K.

4. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida