Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idiot question of the day: Ampeg SVT 350H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm assuming that this head is a tube amp?

Also, I want to get an avatar 4x10 and an avatar 2x12 to go with it... can you reccomend what ohms the cabs should be?

Gracias...

2. Nope, solid state.

3. Actually, its got ss preamp, and Mos-fet power amp. As for the cabs, I would assume that they are both 8 ohm cabs, so you would be running a 4 ohm load, meaning a 350h will run at 350 watts.

4. Mosfet is solid state.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    How much would a used ampeg tube head run me? I want to be super loud. :p

6. Yeah i know, you replied a couple seconds before me :)

7. Didn't intend to be rude, Circus, I didn't want Mike to think Mosfet might be some new tube circuitry...

Used Ampeg tube heads run from $350 or so for old V-4's to $1000 or so for old SVT's. Used SVT-CL's (the reissue SVT's) go for slightly less than a grand on ebay, I believe.

While the old V-4's are great amps and really good bargains (I've had a V4 for almost 20 years) if you buy an old one, it may require a couple hundred dollars in fix-up...and they aren't as loud as the SVT

Volume isn't everything, though. For a band to sound good, super-loud isn't always the answer.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    try and find an older ( like 1994) SvT-3-pro... tone and power for daysssss. if you want loud, here it is man, it's decently priced too. I ran my setup at 4 ohms for a while (4x10 and 1x15) and jesus, this thing was more than i could EVER need. now its at 8 ohms, but still running LOUD AS HELL. SVT-CL's are going to be a pain in the whole cost issue, power tubes, cost of unit is extrememly high. i say get the best of both worlds (Tube preamp, SS Power). Or just check out some GK heads. My Store has 3 1001RB's on Closeout for 475 each. Send me $500 (the 25 to cover shipping and packaging) and i can send you one. this goes for anyone. I'm always lookin to help a fellow TB'er.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    So like uhh... am i gonna be super loud with the avatar 410 and 212 and the svt350h?

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Do you know that the B2-R and the SVT-350H are the EXACT same amp? The only difference is that the SVT-350H is in a head form (con for me) and costs $200 more. otherwise they are the exact same amp.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. What the hell is 'super loud'?

Why do you only want an Ampeg tube head? You obviously don't know much about amps. It seems like you are only going for the 'hey, I have a tube amp' slogan here.

My advice- go out and actually play some gear, read up about it, and then come back with a clue of what you are talking about. Until then, stay in the OT forum and keep on making your bull**** posts. :)

12. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I have an SVT-350 and I'm not terribly thrilled with it.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Pete is right- there are FAR better amps that can be had for the price. Check out Gallien-Krueger stuff... they have some amps in that price range that sound great.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Why not get one of the SVT-pro heads instead?

15. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    They probably have more head room too. I wanted to throw my head at a wall at a gig the other night.

16. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA

On that subject, I haven't had good experiences with the B2R. I AB'd it with a GK 400RB-III running an 1973 Ampeg 2x15. Despite the fact that the B2R is rated for 350 watts at 4 ohms and the Gk for 240 at 4 ohms, the Ampeg was clipping like mad and couldn't be heard in a loud rock situation, whereas the GK was plenty loud and seemed to have headroom to spare. In addition, some guy was using a B2R to drive a new 8x10 at a gig I was at last friday and he was clipping the amp like mad and couldn't be heard at all. So, if the 350H is the same amp as the B2R, and you want to drive a 4x10 and a 2x12 with it, don't expect too much volume.